Red tide / Green algae

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
Many of us in SW Florida are in a sad state . Green / blue algae is destroying our water ways out to the gulf of mexico . Red tide is destroying our gulf of mexico coastal areas .
Please send out your prayers for our fishing and boating friends in the area . Especially the ones who make a living from these waters .

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
300 TONS of dead fish have been removed from Sanibel island beaches alone , More than 2.7 million pounds of fish have been removed from other beaches ! Plus dead dolphins , manatees and a whale shark have been removed ! And the red tide and algae is still here !

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a sad deal for sure. It was just starting to get bad when we were down in Cape Coral the end of May, first of June for 2 weeks.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Red tide is still with us. We live about 1 mile from the beach and we can smell the rotting sealife when the wind is right. Many of our beaches are posted "No Swimming". I and a couple of friends went fishing a couple weeks ago and it was not good. We were headed out about 40 miles but it was too rough . We went out about 15 mi and the fishing wasn't good for us.

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
Reports have been that the red tide extends out 16 miles , I'm sure the fish that are still alive have abandoned the area way beyond 16 miles out . I work out on Sanibel
island just about every day , I still see dead fish floating in the water , just less because there is nothing left to kill . Like Halfhitch says , when the wind is blowing right
the smell and effects from the red tide and dead fish is horrible.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
This is such a tragedy!
We live on the East coast and have been vacationing in Sanibel/Captiva annually for decades...NEVER saw anything like this before.
Our reservations there this year are for Thanksgiving week, hopefully conditions will improve by then...

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Reports are saying that we have a red tide condition on the East coast around the Jupiter area, tests are being done on the matter. People have been reported getting sick and having breathing problems from a strong odor, beaches have been closed over the weekend. I have lived here in Jupiter since 1968, never heard of this problem before here, very sad!

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Red Tide got better for awhile here on the West coast of FL. It's back to making one cough when near the beach. Some dead fish rolling in but nothing like the big die off a few months ago. Charter guys and bait fishers are having a tough time.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow, thought it would have gone away by now this late in the year.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It has been persisting this time for 13 months. Since Oct. 2017

We used to run 1/4 mile outside the Venice jetty and catch enough pinfish for the day in 20 minutes. Catching 2 to 5 at a time on a sabiki rig. Now you can spend an hour and catch maybe a half dozen. I don't waste my time on pinfish anymore. Just use cut bait and shrimp. For awhile no one had shrimp but they are selling again.

Last edited: