Thank you

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi ,would I be able to change from twin outboards to a single , 2000 gulfstream
Thank you
I don't know what's involved, but I know it can be done: There was a guy in our marina that did it..Went from twins to a single 300.

Dukke

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ok thanks , I had thought it would be simpler and cheaper , than going from a single to a double

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok thanks , I had thought it would be simpler and cheaper , than going from a single to a double

If you have a Gulfstream with twins currently and want to swap to a single configuration I can't tell you anything about it other than, as mentioned, it can be done.

I DO know that personally I wouldn't want to have a Gulfstream with a single engine. I owned one with twin 200's for 11 years and was really pleased with everything about it. It's harder to horse a single engine Gulfstream around a dock, especially in wind and/or current. Keep in mind it's a widebody..23 feet with a 9' 3" beam and that translates into close quarter handling problems with just one prop back there. The boat planes faster with twins and you have more control, not only at low speeds but in the higher register as well. The two props biting the water gives it a measure of stability. An added bonus is the security of having another engine in the event of one failing.

I have learned over the years that my way is not necessarily the best way for others. Many owners have a Gulfstream with a single and are perfectly happy with it. Plus, it's cheaper to maintain one engine over two. Hopefully someone with an idea of what's involved in changing out twins for a single can chime in.

Luck to 'ya in any case.

Reactions: Zebulon

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I converted a 268 islander from twins to a single verado 350. Everything needs ripped out. Transom wholes have to be glassed closed. New engine holes need drilled. It’s sounds worse than it is

The verado is more complicated than most and I rigged mine myself in less than 8 hours doing it but by bit in the evenings

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also you will have to do some research on the new engine and prop combo

Dukke

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you have a Gulfstream with twins currently and want to swap to a single configuration I can't tell you anything about it other than, as mentioned, it can be done.

I DO know that personally I wouldn't want to have a Gulfstream with a single engine. I owned one with twin 200's for 11 years and was really pleased with everything about it. It's harder to horse a single engine Gulfstream around a dock, especially in wind and/or current. Keep in mind it's a widebody..23 feet with a 9' 3" beam and that translates into close quarter handling problems with just one prop back there. The boat planes faster with twins and you have more control, not only at low speeds but in the higher register as well. The two props biting the water gives it a measure of stability. An added bonus is the security of having another engine in the event of one failing.

I have learned over the years that my way is not necessarily the best way for others. Many owners have a Gulfstream with a single and are perfectly happy with it. Plus, it's cheaper to maintain one engine over two. Hopefully someone with an idea of what's involved in changing out twins for a single can chime in.

Luck to 'ya in any case.

Dukke

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks a real lot for saying what you said and taking the time to write it , much appreciated , I am buying a 2000 gulfstream with twin 2000 200 hp ox66’s Yamahas , it was pretty much a thought , I did find out that when one motor is not running it’s difficult to steer ... would anyone chime in on if 600 hours is much for 2000’s , they looked cared for, but one never knows , compression is good ...
Thnks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks a real lot for saying what you said and taking the time to write it , much appreciated , I am buying a 2000 gulfstream with twin 2000 200 hp ox66’s Yamahas , it was pretty much a thought , I did find out that when one motor is not running it’s difficult to steer ... would anyone chime in on if 600 hours is much for 2000’s , they looked cared for, but one never knows , compression is good ...
Thnks

Your welcome; happy to chime in.

One more thing..(I sound like Columbo..) Many on here have said the Ox66's are virtually bulletproof, given reasonable care & maintenance. 600 hrs is pretty young for those engines given their reputation. Have them checked out thoroughly by a competent Yamaha guy. I've also heard they drink fuel like there's no tomorrow.

Fishtales, a really knowledgeable dude on here likes the 150's on a Gulfstream. I disagree,(respectfully.) I think the 200's are ideal for that hull and your two stroke Ox'66er's will have plenty of planing power and lots of goose if that's the way you go with this.

ElMar

Reaction score
I would love to go to one of these.

Attachments

• 5697C31A-DF79-4DC0-B188-9CB39A6B8B30.png
    5697C31A-DF79-4DC0-B188-9CB39A6B8B30.png
    861.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Dawgvet98

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You do realize that you are considering removing two highly respected, proven, low hour motors, that have extremely more maneuverability over a big single, and will have to spend roughly somewhere in the $25-30,000+ range to have a single 300-350+hp engine/controls/etc. supplied and properly setup. If the current engines have been cared for and are in good condition, there is no reason they cannot last to at least 2000 hours of use. If current engines are in bad shape and need replaced at this time, then a single may be an economically viable alternative. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
i made that switch in the spring. Went from twin 07 200 etecs to a single 300 G2 . there were no issues on the installation. 25 sailfish with cut out transom . its a better balanced boat with all the weight gone from the back of the boat. gets up on plan easily . sweet spot is 4650/4700 at 27mph or 22 kts.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
i made that switch in the spring. Went from twin 07 200 etecs to a single 300 G2 . there were no issues on the installation. 25 sailfish with cut out transom . its a better balanced boat with all the weight gone from the back of the boat. gets up on plan easily . sweet spot is 4650/4700 at 27mph or 22 kts.

Not sure what prop you have on there, but those RPM/Speed numbers indicate a LOT of prop slip (unless you're running 13" or 14" pitch). This was the same problem I had with our original 250HP OX66 on the Islander 270. Too much boat to push with that limited blade area - improved with four--blade prop, but still only marginally acceptable on slip. Much better with twins.

BTW, 22kts = 25.3mph.

Fishtales

Reaction score

Luck to 'ya in any case.

X2. Don't do that. Your rigged and ready. Crazy to have to deal with a re-rig and glass work when you don't have to.