Reface an instrument panel?

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I don't know if this is common or not but when I bought my boat (second owner), it had dead switches and a radio that no longer worked, but had been left in place. The switches and radio had been replaced, but the old stuff was just left where it was. Today I had all of the obsolete switches and the radio removed along with the dead wiring. Now I have holes in the instrument panel... Is it possible to reface the panel with something other than duct tape ;-) to cover the holes?

pmgia

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Google new wire marine or cut some starboard

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You can always make something as well. I had some materials around the garage and made this. I wanted to change the layout at some point so didn't want a huge invest at this stage. I have thrown that voltmeter USB in the gulf of Mexico! IMG_20190510_064052.jpgIMG_20200111_105247_01.jpgIMG_20190510_063614.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You can fill the holes like you would with a car or a boat. Basically, some variation of Bondo (either a putty like PC-11 or even epoxy or poly resin). For the larger holes, I would add some strength to the hole with some glass, though. Sand and smooth it out, then paint it or vinyl wrap it. Rustoleum spray paint would work just fine. You could also buy a 1/4" sheet of black or seafoam HDPE.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can fill the holes like you would with a car or a boat. Basically, some variation of Bondo (either a putty like PC-11 or even epoxy or poly resin). For the larger holes, I would add some strength to the hole with some glass, though. Sand and smooth it out, then paint it or vinyl wrap it. Rustoleum spray paint would work just fine. You could also buy a 1/4" sheet of black or seafoam HDPE.
I just got done doing this on my 330. I epoxied the large openings and holes so just below surface and finished with Grady Gell-Coat ordered from iBOATS. It was Spectrum Color Grady White, 2005-2013, Off White VAL LVOC Color Boat Gel Coat Patch Paste Repair Ki

turned out great. I have a large opening which housed an old autopilot which I plan to tackle soon. Got a cut out from another boat - from dealer - which I will epoxy so just below surface and then I will attempt to gellcoat. Will probably spray the gellcoat using one of those disposable sprayers. Hoping it will match.

I know there are easier ways but I’m OCD when it comes to keeping original. If this fails, I will just get local gellcoat guy to do it.

Reactions: kirk a

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225