Refinishing a Grady bracket

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Looking for advice, specifically coatings to refinish the Grady bracket on our boat.
Just removed the motors today and will be having the bottom paint and bracket media blasted later this week.

Has anyone utilized POR 15 or something similar in nature?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Grady Bracket.jpeg
    Grady Bracket.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5,053

Gasman

Reaction score
Just went through this 2 months ago. 1992 Grady Sailfish. Spent two days sanding off flaking powdercoat. Did one side at a time and immediately wiped down with solvent and two coats of zinc chromate. Sprayed two coats of Custom Coat 2 part white bedliner. Bought from TCP Global. Total cost for all coatings, solvent, sandpaper, respirator, tyvek coveralls, rags, etc under $300.00 Very tough, non slip, easy to clean coating. Very happy with results, and took 4 days total. Worst part was laying on my back under bracket sanding all the bottom paint as well as powdercoat. Set up a box fan to blow as much of the crap away from me as I was sanding. Hope this helps with your question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 4,972
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 4,971
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 4,972
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 4,972

BigI

Reaction score
I did something similar. I ground it clean. Then acid wash and anodized, Alumiprep & Alodine. Got the solutions from an airplane supply store online, Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cs/metalprepsupplies.htm

Then I painted it with Interlux epoxy paint, Interprotect 2000E: I bought it online @ wholesale marine.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/interlux-interprotect-2000e-epoxy-marine-barrier-coat-kit-79094.html

Then I bottom painted everything below the top "deck", Interlux Trilux 33 in white: I bought it at wholesale marine.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/interlux-trilux-33-antifouling-boat-bottom-paint-35036.html

I didn't paint over the Interprotect on the top. It has held up really well for a few years now.

I did it while the engine was still mounted.

Just another option to consider.

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Thank you for the other options.
Just had her bottom blasted yesterday as well as Grady bracket. Only minor nicks and one scrape uncovered under what seemed like 1/4 inch or more of old bottom paint.

Attachments

• Bottom paint blasted.jpeg
    Bottom paint blasted.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4,815
  • Grady bracket.JPG
    Grady bracket.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 4,815
  • Boat ready for blasting.jpeg
    Boat ready for blasting.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 4,815

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had mine soda blasted and powder coated (single engine) for $175

I could not even buy materials for that.

it looks amazing.

bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Newtgadget said:
Looking for advice, specifically coatings to refinish the Grady bracket on our boat.
Just removed the motors today and will be having the bottom paint and bracket media blasted later this week.

Has anyone utilized POR 15 or something similar in nature?

Thanks in advance!

POR 15 is not UV stable and is not really designed for aluminum, it works but I did not get a warm fuzzy when looking at this option when looking to re-do mine, I settled on powder (Above).

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
barclayrl said:
I had mine soda blasted and powder coated (single engine) for $175

I could not even buy materials for that.

it looks amazing.

bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

Did you have any pitting on your Grady bracket? I've spoke to three different powder coaters in my area and none of them have a real answer as to the proper "compound" to use to fill in the minor pitting we have, that will withstand the 400 degree bake temp required for powder coating.

What product did you or your powder coater uses to fill in any minor pitting?

Thanks!

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Bed Liner Spray won hands down. Carries a 4 year warranty against chipping, peeling, etc in the marine environment.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 4,561
  • IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 4,561
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4,563

Gasman

Reaction score
Very nice! Will hold up much better then the original coating.

gw204

Reaction score
I will be curious to see how that bedliner holds up. Especially if the boat is kept in a slip where it will be submerged 100% of the time.

When I repowered my old Sailfish, I had took the chance to address some issues with the bracket as well. There were several spots where the Gil-coat as they call it had lost it's bond to the underlying aluminum. Admittedly, I cut some corners, but I was still happy with the end result. Here's what I did...

I had every intention of taking the bracket entirely off the boat and having it sand blasted, but after fighting with it and it not budging even a little bit, I had to change plans. With the motors off, I ground all the Gil-coat off of the top of the bracket, the engine mounting surface and little down past the water line. This got all the areas where the coating had broken free. There were a few very small areas of corrosion, so I filled those with the gray MarineTex and sanded them flush.

IMG_8090.jpg

Then I had the top, sides, and access plate primed and sprayed with matching Awlgrip. I can't say whether or not the aluminum was etched prior to being shot.

IMG00076.jpg

Next I taped off the painted areas and treated the bare aluminum with West System's aluminum etching kit.

IMG_8122.jpg

The etched aluminum was then coated with several layers of Interprotect 2000E (it was alrady on the rest of the hull and bracket too).

IMG_8124.jpg

Washers under the mounting bolts were replaced w/ 1/4" aluminum plate painted to match the gelcoat.

IMG00081.jpg

Got new sleeves for the top engine mounting holes from Gil. Motors went on and were rigged.

IMG00085.jpg

Bottom paint was touched up.

DSCN0536.jpg