Refit of 2002 282 - It begins

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The time has come and my 2002 F225’s with almost 2300 hours are ready to give up the ghost. It was either buy a newer Marlin or refit our girl. Since they don’t make these anymore, and a Marlin is too much boat most of the time, the refit has been decided upon. We love the layout and it suits our needs so well.
On the list is:
-New hardtop (ours is rotting out around the edges)
-Twin Suzuki DF250AP in white
-Repair of some trouble spots around escape hatch
-Refreshed electronics, I didn’t see the value in re-installing a 16 year old Raymarine radar on a brand new hardtop. My Lowrance HDS Gen 2 also leaves much to be desired
-Transom inspection and sealing. My grady dealer is giving me a hard time about the vinyl piece but hoping they’ll help out.
I’ll keep everyone updated on this thread as we progress. Now the hard part, waiting and writing checks.

Last edited:

Sailfishing

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Following. I’ve got a 2002 as well and looking forward to hearing anything else you do/find. If you don’t already have it I’d recommend adding autopilot. Makes a huge difference in the way the boat handles in certain conditions.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I added AP a couple seasons ago when I redid the hull striping, logos, aquatraction, head rebuild, and the new ivory stamoid canvas from A&J. We’re excited to finish the renovation. There will be a lot of pics. Right now I’m trying to source this vinyl bang cap, my dealer said grady is being stingy with it.

Autopilot has been incredible, could never go back to the not-having-autopilot days of the past.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Definitely pictures needed of this. The 282 is my sixfootitis boat. Would have one if only closer to the coast. A little overkill for central Kentucky.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dropped her off on the eastern shore of Md for her repower today. Last pic with those Yamahas on the transom. Danny’s says they’ll have it done in a little over week. While we’re at I’m replacing the fuel lines from the tanks to the motors. Tanks themselves look good to go.

IMG_2428.jpegIMG_2427.jpeg

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I'm repowering my Chase and had no problem ordering the vinyl bang cap. Part # 10-0511. Was quoted $7/ft from my local dealer. I ordered 6' and with shipping & tax was $60. I ordered Thurs 9/7 and it came in today!
I added AP a couple seasons ago when I redid the hull striping, logos, aquatraction, head rebuild, and the new ivory stamoid canvas from A&J. We’re excited to finish the renovation. There will be a lot of pics. Right now I’m trying to source this vinyl bang cap, my dealer said grady is being stingy with it.

Autopilot has been incredible, could never go back to the not-having-autopilot days of the past.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What ever happens do not let them repower until the bang cap is replaced - I did a stupid thing a few years back and repowered without the bang cap and now it is a 3,300 expense to remove engines and replace the cap/

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What ever happens do not let them repower until the bang cap is replaced - I did a stupid thing a few years back and repowered without the bang cap and now it is a 3,300 expense to remove engines and replace the cap/
I was able to source the trim, agreed, makes no sense to strap new engines on with a corroded aluminum bang cap in place. They are going to remove and reseal the new one in place.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Also following with great interest! FWIW, my dealer replaced with the vinyl bang cap about 6 months ago and mentioned no problems getting it then. Wonder what happened since? Good luck with the remake and I hope all looks good when the old bang cap comes off.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also following with great interest! FWIW, my dealer replaced with the vinyl bang cap about 6 months ago and mentioned no problems getting it then. Wonder what happened since? Good luck with the remake and I hope all looks good when the old bang cap comes off.
I think the issue has been the change over to stainless. Many of the new models are SS and grady really isn’t in the parts business. If they have it they have it, but if they quit using it in current models then it goes away. My parts person said she had to enter my HIN when ordering it and it’s kind of a pain. This was Corroborated by a parts rep at another dealer. Grady to their credit is very helpful in recommending alternatives and such, but parts and advice is one of the main reasons why this forum is so valuable.

Reactions: wahoo33417

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just picked her up and ran it home. It’s filthy from sitting at the shop but the install is great. According to the rigger the transom is solid as a rock, the new bang cap is sealed up tight. These DF250 AP’s are absolute beasts. I’m still getting it figured out but they like a little more trim than the Yamahas and they love to run. The props are the 3 blade 16 x 18.5’s. Phenomenal hole shot and topped out close to 50 mph at 6k RPM. Sweet spot for cruise seemed to be right around 39-4100 RPM going about 32 mph. I’ll update as I get it dialed in, she gets dropped off with the fiberglass guy on Monday. Hopefully we can get her out this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2473.jpeg
    IMG_2473.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 71768952984__3EB06996-F448-4CBC-91D0-48CA54123AEE.jpeg
    71768952984__3EB06996-F448-4CBC-91D0-48CA54123AEE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do they compare to the old Yamaha motors, especially with regards to the Electronic Throttle vs the older mechanical throttle linkage?

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How do they compare to the old Yamaha motors, especially with regards to the Electronic Throttle vs the older mechanical throttle linkage?
Night and day, the digital throttle is sensitive, takes some getting used to. They shift so smooth, and quiet. The engine sound is different too. Much quieter at idle and low speeds. Higher rpm seems about the same in terms of noise, but it’s a very unique sound.