Refit of 2002 282 - It begins

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Night and day, the digital throttle is sensitive, takes some getting used to. They shift so smooth, and quiet. The engine sound is different too. Much quieter at idle and low speeds. Higher rpm seems about the same in terms of noise, but it’s a very unique sound.
That's awesome!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Italian: Will the digital autopilot allow you to just idle along on a set heading? I'm wondering if it would be helpful for flying a kite, with the bow into the wind or current and moving forward just at idle speed?

Tx, Rob

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Italian: Will the digital autopilot allow you to just idle along on a set heading? I'm wondering if it would be helpful for flying a kite, with the bow into the wind or current and moving forward just at idle speed?

Tx, Rob
I’ve had the Simrad AP for a few seasons, and yes it will hold the boat into the wind and current at idle speed, usually 600 rpm. Even on one engine. The digital throttles primary bonus feature for trolling was troll mode where you can push a button and increase or decrease rpm in increments of 50. They’re also just more pleasant to use, for me. Mechs get it done but mine were never really syncd up that well, one always down more than the other, and I’d smack a wave hard and have to readjust. Now you set them and they stay exactly there.

Reactions: wahoo33417

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have an ‘01 and want to do the same thing. Did you have to raise the scuppers or do any work to the transom? Will be following for sure!

GypsyRover

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The time has come and my 2002 F225’s with almost 2300 hours are ready to give up the ghost. It was either buy a newer Marlin or refit our girl. Since they don’t make these anymore, and a Marlin is too much boat most of the time, the refit has been decided upon. We love the layout and it suits our needs so well.
On the list is:
-New hardtop (ours is rotting out around the edges)
-Twin Suzuki DF250AP in white
-Repair of some trouble spots around escape hatch
-Refreshed electronics, I didn’t see the value in re-installing a 16 year old Raymarine radar on a brand new hardtop. My Lowrance HDS Gen 2 also leaves much to be desired
-Transom inspection and sealing. My grady dealer is giving me a hard time about the vinyl piece but hoping they’ll help out.
I’ll keep everyone updated on this thread as we progress. Now the hard part, waiting and writing checks.
My 2004 F225's passed over the rainbow this summer and I repowered with Suzuki 200's (270 Islander) and it wasn't nice writing that check, but so far it seems like the best decision ever, super quiet, easy to maintain, etc. Good luck, I think you will probably be happy with your new Zukes too.

Reactions: ItalianAngler

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 2004 F225's passed over the rainbow this summer and I repowered with Suzuki 200's (270 Islander) and it wasn't nice writing that check, but so far it seems like the best decision ever, super quiet, easy to maintain, etc. Good luck, I think you will probably be happy with your new Zukes too.
GypseyRover and ItalianAngler: What was "tired" with your F225's?

I have 2006 F150's with 2100 hours on them. Running fine but looking ahead to 200's (Yamaha's or Suzuki's).

Finest Kind

Reaction score
"Night and day, the digital throttle is sensitive, takes some getting used to....."

Note that you may be able to easily adjust the sensitivity.
I'm sure other brands must have the same feature...On my digital ETEC's, there is a pair of holes/openings on the forward base of the binnacle with recessed screw heads inside.
One is for the shift in and out of gear tension, and one is to adjust the amount of tension for the throttle arms. (too loose and your throttle will change positions when slamming in rough seas)

Simply insert a screwdriver into the hole and turn the screws a bit at a time until the "feel" is just right for you.

Reactions: ItalianAngler

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GypseyRover and ItalianAngler: What was "tired" with your F225's?

I have 2006 F150's with 2100 hours on them. Running fine but looking ahead to 200's (Yamaha's or Suzuki's).
My stbd engine was misfiring, the port engine had some corrosion on the block. Still worked, but the small repairs were becoming more and more frequent. I like to fish, A Lot, and it was the down time that was killing me. Based on where I could see things headed and the fact that I wanted to keep the boat long term the best decision for me was fresh power and peace of mind. I make long runs up and down the chesapeake. Earlier this season an issue with one cut my cobia trip short. That was beginning of the discussion.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have an ‘01 and want to do the same thing. Did you have to raise the scuppers or do any work to the transom? Will be following for sure!
The difference in weight wasn’t anything major, I can’t tell a difference. I had the old 4 strokes on there, they weren’t exactly slender. I think all told it’s around 100 extra lbs between both of them. I did reseal the transom with the new vinyl cap. It’s tight now, they did a great job.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dropped her off with the glass guy on Friday. We are going through the concept phase now. Planning to extend the rear of the hardtop, we may modify the rocket launchers to drop down a few inches. They are a PITA to reach for me.

IMG_2496.jpeg

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Time for an update, we started work on the seemingly little crack near the escape hatch, Pandora’s box is now wiiiiiiide open.

Whats obvious is that it was already repaired, twice, neither was great. No turning back now…

IMG_1946.jpeg
IMG_5530.jpegIMG_5531.jpeg
IMG_5536.jpeg

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Update: I was able to adjust the trim and tilt, cool feature, and the bullets are ever so slightly in the water. Still though, it’s a lot less than was in with the Yamahas.

View attachment 31616
Nice boat and she merit the awesome Suzukis.

I was wondering what they needed more than a week to replace the twins,
we swapped twin F250 with the DF300AP between 10 am and 4 pm and at 5pm she was floating again.
And that included to mount all second station controls on the tower pulling the cables thru the structures pipes.

Regarding the lower unit still being in the water:
I noticed that on a lot of GW's and it's basically not a big issue with older outboards as most of them don't have twin water inlet and/or so low positioned ones.
I had the same problem on my BW 23 Outrage after I switched to twin F150, but painted the submerged part with anti fouling.
However, the Suzukis on my Venture 34 did the same for the same reason, old hull nor designed for heavier 4 strokes.
The problem with the Suzukis is that the lower intake is under water and there will build up growth and clog it, but worst is barnacles and those hard worm shaped pests growing inside the water intake behind the plastic grille and that's not cool at all.

As a seasoned stern-heavy boat owner I have another hint if this is applicable on your boat.
Moving the batteries from below splash well inside the console on my BW 23 solved a lot of her strengths-heavy behaviors and lifted the lower unit a bit out of the water what in your case would be enough to be below the lower water intake.
You may consider to find a similar solution on your boat, either to use less engine trim/trim tabs or just to get the lower units a bit more out of the water.

This is only a problem if you leave the boat in the water for a longer period, if she lives on a trailer than forget what I wrote.
However, it could be helpful for someone else who has her slipped/moored.

Chris

Fishtales

Reaction score
Is there a source for the cabin side windows? Would like to do those at some point....

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is there a source for the cabin side windows? Would like to do those at some point....
You and me both, it’s a definite weak point. I think one, albeit hot, solution would be fixed tinted glass. Like the newer marlins have. It’s nice to be able to get some fresh air in there during the summer.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice boat and she merit the awesome Suzukis.

I was wondering what they needed more than a week to replace the twins,
we swapped twin F250 with the DF300AP between 10 am and 4 pm and at 5pm she was floating again.
And that included to mount all second station controls on the tower pulling the cables thru the structures pipes.

Regarding the lower unit still being in the water:
I noticed that on a lot of GW's and it's basically not a big issue with older outboards as most of them don't have twin water inlet and/or so low positioned ones.
I had the same problem on my BW 23 Outrage after I switched to twin F150, but painted the submerged part with anti fouling.
However, the Suzukis on my Venture 34 did the same for the same reason, old hull nor designed for heavier 4 strokes.
The problem with the Suzukis is that the lower intake is under water and there will build up growth and clog it, but worst is barnacles and those hard worm shaped pests growing inside the water intake behind the plastic grille and that's not cool at all.

As a seasoned stern-heavy boat owner I have another hint if this is applicable on your boat.
Moving the batteries from below splash well inside the console on my BW 23 solved a lot of her strengths-heavy behaviors and lifted the lower unit a bit out of the water what in your case would be enough to be below the lower water intake.
You may consider to find a similar solution on your boat, either to use less engine trim/trim tabs or just to get the lower units a bit more out of the water.

This is only a problem if you leave the boat in the water for a longer period, if she lives on a trailer than forget what I wrote.
However, it could be helpful for someone else who has her slipped/moored.

Chris
Luckily, I’m lift kept and she rarely stays in water for more than a couple days at a time. The old Yamahas were the same and I’ve not noticed it sitting any lower, seems a little higher actually, but that could just be perception. Any difference is negligible.

I think my install timing was largely weather related, we had a series of storms. They also sealed up the transom with the new bang cap, which added some time. Then they needed to test the prop configuration, which added a day.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Congratulations for your new Suzukis.
HERE on THT is a Tread how do adjust the friction if you find them too soft.
However, once used to it you will love them, particularly that you can maneuver with thumb and small finger.

Yes the Suzuki is considerable more silent below 4000 rpm han the Yamahas, so silent that I forgot that they where idling.
For a repower I would go again with Suzukis, if needed then with the duo prop model.

Enjoy them!

Chris