Refridge Down

hinmo

Reaction score
I haven't started troubleshooting it yet, but my 99 Marlin fridge seems to be down. I didn't use it last year (on mooring)...so questions:

1) is this a dc powered unit only (I only have dc breaker for it).
2) any troubleshooting/removal advice?...other than checking for power to the unit
3) if it comes to it, replacement recommendations? (my buddy put in a small Lowes refridge in his...had to cut and bracket the new one...under $100, had a dc/ac adapater with it)

Thanks

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an Isotherm CR49 that is DC only. The compressor does have a voltage cut out. If the battery is less than 9.6v the compressor won't work.
Check your voltage first. If you have access to AC, then try it as well. Measure the voltage at the fridge. It may be time to replace given the age.

hinmo

Reaction score
Pulled it out yesterday and sure enough, the voltage was there. Any hope of having this troubleshot by a appliance person? these babies are expensive as heck, new.?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dumb question but have you checked the on/off knob. In my isotherm it is inside frig on top right. It controls temperature and has a when tuned all the way has a click that turns it on and off.

hinmo

Reaction score
its a Norcold. It has a thermostat/switch inside. It does not start in any position.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but your probably throwing good money after bad at this point. Maybe look for a used one on ebay or the web?

hinmo

Reaction score
I see West has a Isothem Cruise 42 that is the same measurements as the Isotherm 49 that many on this forum recommend. It is $100 cheaper. Has anyone installed one of the Isotherm Cruise 42? Does it fit where the Norcold resides?

Folks have said the 49's shape fits exactly into a Marlin, I wonder if the 42 does

Thanks

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have not even tried the frig in mine. Is the fridge even worth having? I am assuming it does not run when not connected to shore power?

MA208

Reaction score
I like it for food you don’t want on ice. Like sandwiches in the cooler. On the dock you can leave the batteries on, charger on and connect to shore power. Same for cabin lights, stereo and tv.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Am I correct, you cannot run it when underway?

Wonder if you can freeze a gallon of water and then leave it in there to keep it cool.

hinmo

Reaction score
I have never used it before either. This is the first year I am on a slip and we spend alot of time there. Seems like it would be convenient to have a refer full of drinks and snacks and not have to constantly lug the iglo around....a luxury for sure

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Russ, the frig runs off of the batteries, when on shore power or when underway.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Russ, the frig runs off of the batteries, when on shore power or when underway.

Aaahh ok, was curious about that. I was debating adding a couple extra house batteries. It sure seems like a lot of things to have run off of a single battery. 3 batteries, 2 are for crank.. I get they may get used, but to me... having 1 house run 2 chartplotters, a radar, 2 vhf, a frig, radio, etc.. I think I would feel so much better having a couple more deep cycles heh.

Still, have to figure where the heck they would go and how best to charge them. Best I could find was a 3-bank charger last boat. Would be nice to be able to make sure they all charge at once. So... back to the ol drawing board.. lol ;)

R

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hi,
I just replaced the fridge on my 305 Express. I bought a Norcold NR751BB Unit and it runs on both Shore power and battery.
For when i'm at the dock and on shore power, i turn on the Fridge circuit breaker (Had this breaker added) on the shore power side and turn off the breaker on the DC (battery side). When I leave the dock, I turn on the Fridge breaker on the battery side. I had it wired for this setup, so that the battery charger wouldn't be constantly charging when i was at the dock. Now i'm able to turn off the battery switches when I leave the boat. The Norcold unit I bought supports both AC and DC.
F

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Aaahh ok, was curious about that. I was debating adding a couple extra house batteries. It sure seems like a lot of things to have run off of a single battery. 3 batteries, 2 are for crank.. I get they may get used, but to me... having 1 house run 2 chartplotters, a radar, 2 vhf, a frig, radio, etc.. I think I would feel so much better having a couple more deep cycles heh.

Still, have to figure where the heck they would go and how best to charge them. Best I could find was a 3-bank charger last boat. Would be nice to be able to make sure they all charge at once. So... back to the ol drawing board.. lol ;)

R
I usually just the frig off if I am fishing or anchored for extended periods. the Frig stay cold for a long time.