Refrigerator Replacement 2000 Marlin

boatino

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 18 years the refrig. finally crapped out. There is a Norcold DC-440 in there currently. I haven't read to many good reviews on the new Norcold refrigerators, made overseas I think. Does anyone know of a direct replacement to the old Norcold fridge? It looks like Dometic makes one similar in size TJ18. Not exactly but close. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Any chance you can go custom? Have a local who does custom refrigeration make a box that puts the pump in the bilge, so the heat can dissapate there instead of into the compartment the fridge sits in? I did this on an old boat I had with two Norcolds. Got rid of the pumps into the bilge which opened up more space, combined the space between the two fridges, made 1/4 of the new compartment a freezer and the other 3/4 fridge.

I'll look forward to hearing about the replacement fridge though...

Bayhouse

Reaction score
boatino said:
Hi all,

After 18 years the refrig. finally crapped out. There is a Norcold DC-440 in there currently. I haven't read to many good reviews on the new Norcold refrigerators, made overseas I think. Does anyone know of a direct replacement to the old Norcold fridge? It looks like Dometic makes one similar in size TJ18. Not exactly but close. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Are you sure the old one is not repairable? The Isotherm fridge in my '03 330 Express stopped working last winter and I figured out the thermostat had gone bad. Pretty easy replacement and much cheaper than a new fridge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out the Indel Isotherm. Mine came with the Cruise 49 (CR-49). FWIW, it has run great.

boatino

Reaction score
Just tested the thermostat at home. It read 2.2 ohms in the off position and 1.8 ohms in the on position. It will still light up when I had it plugged into the fridge so I'm thinking there may be another problem. Any more suggestions?

John

liinw8

Reaction score
On my 99 Marlin, which I no longer have, I replaced my broken Norcold with the Isotherm Cruise CR 49. I did the install myself which was basically plug and play, and tapped into the 120v line which feeds the 120v cabin outlet under the stairs so i could use AC power for the fridge at the dock and DC while not plugged in. If I recall correctly the CR 49 had the angled bottom which was necessary to make it fit. The Isotherm was a serious improvement and much quieter, and my batteries were much happier even with a so-called "smart charger" since I liked to keep the fridge running 24/7 on shore power.

boatino

Reaction score
That's the fridge I was looking to replace it with. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the new one. Thanks for the replies.

John

boatino

Reaction score
Update, replaced the fridge with a Isotherm Cruise 49. I did not have to do any modifications to the existing space, just plug and play like liinw8 said. The new fridge has much more room inside than the old fridge. Hopefully I get 18 years out of this fridge also. Thanks for all the replies.

John

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hello I am in need of the clear plastic shelf on door if you still have old fridge .Please let me know if you have and willing to sell it .Thanks