refueling issue

gxsess

Reaction score
Had my 204c out this morning. Burned about 7 gallons of fuel. Got it up on the trailer and hit the local gas station to top off for the next trip. Got about a gallon in and fi
uel began spitting out the vent line. New tank and hoses as of last season. Second trip on a new opti with smartcraft gauges so I am confident I did burn 7 gallons of fuele as the guage was spot on last trip. I cant figure out why I am getting spit out of the vent line. Has this happened to anyone else?

seasick

Reaction score
gxsess said:
Had my 204c out this morning. Burned about 7 gallons of fuel. Got it up on the trailer and hit the local gas station to top off for the next trip. Got about a gallon in and fi
uel began spitting out the vent line. New tank and hoses as of last season. Second trip on a new opti with smartcraft gauges so I am confident I did burn 7 gallons of fuele as the guage was spot on last trip. I cant figure out why I am getting spit out of the vent line. Has this happened to anyone else?
My guess is that the vent hose was installed incorrectly with a low spot. During operation, splashing gas gets into the vent and fills that low spot. When you pump fuel into the tank, that 'plug' of fuel in the vent gets blown out. The solution is to reroute the vent hose so that there is a high loop. That may or may not be easy to do especially if the new hose is too short to make the high loop.

gxsess

Reaction score
Thanks are you talking about lifting the vent hose at the tank or can I just throw a loop into in right before it reaches the hull?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm
Get one of those suction cup bottles that goes over the vent outlet. Then start pumping fuel again, except this time don't stop until you get an actual overflow into the bottle (not spitting, actual overflow). You'll likely get an overflow at the filler, so be ready for that, too. If you are able to put in several more gallons, the low spot vent hose has merit. If you still can't pump anywhere near what you think it should, then let the search continue ...

seasick

Reaction score
gxsess said:
Thanks are you talking about lifting the vent hose at the tank or can I just throw a loop into in right before it reaches the hull?
Both in a way. There should be no spots where fuel would sit in the vent hose. Any fuel should drain back to the tank. It may not be possible to have a loop higher than the vent. If the vent is hanging too low, it may just be a little too long. Lifting it at the tank only helps if that process doesn't make a low loop further up the hose.