relocating batteries on marlin 280

canvasback

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I repowered my marlin with 250 verado's (heavier than the ox66's it came with) I have a slight list on port side where 4 batteries are no genset on starboard side. Scuppers are halfway under water. Not sure whether to move 2 to starboard side or move them all to mid with 2 on each side. Anyone ever have the same problem ? Thanks for any input

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not had to do this, but if I were to relocate, I'd try to fit mid 2 per side as you state. Sounds like you have to do something and moving to starboard will likely just shift the problem.

seasick

Reaction score
Moving batteries forward can be much more involved than you might think.
You didn't say what your battery.possible oil tank arrangement was before the repower but if you had the same batteries (size and quantity, I would expect the stern to sit lower but not list so I assume you changed something.
In any case, I would try pulling two batters and place them aft as close to the stern as possible to see if the list is fixed. If so, work on reinstalling two batteries.

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Its not the answer your wanting to hear... but you may need to raise the scuppers which is a lot more involved than moving batteries. While moving the batteries might help slightly with how its sitting in the water, its not going to make a massive difference. If your scuppers are half way under sitting still without any additional weight back there, you might be looking at bigger issues down the line. Is the transom water logged at all? That can cause a lot of unwanted weight in the rear. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the hull doesn't continue flat all the way to the transom on the older marlins/sailfishs. I believe the the rear 2-3 feet of it is stepped. This could affect the floatation possibly with all the added weight.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another option is to install a check valve (one way flow) on each of the scupper lines. You probably should change the lines as well if doing this. If the line is breached before the valve, you may have water enter the boat.