Relocating batteries to bow?

wlewis

Reaction score
Since my 225 sits low in the stern and requires a bit of trimming to plane, I'm looking into relocating the batteries to the bow compartment. I'm wondering if the batteries can take the additional pounding. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In addition to the vibration/shock/pounding that you mention, which is a very real concern in a small boat... You'll have to upsize the battery cable (lower gauge). There's calculations that can be performed (I don't know them off-hand, but Google can probably help) to determine how large you need to go based on how far away -- it's probably going to be something like 30' (most calculations will ask you for round trip - 60'). Now, price out 60' of large gauge, marine (tinned) battery cable and you're probably looking at somewhere between $200-$400, depending on size.

Secondly, batteries need to be vented because of the sulphuric gas that is given off.

Personally... my suggestion? Trim tabs are designed to be used - use 'em. I'm not sure on your boat, but Bennett trim tabs do offer an auto tab controller add-on that can help make it easier if you're not adept at using the tabs.

A better, and more productive, way to add weight in the bow is add chain to your rode.

wlewis

Reaction score
I can trim the motor all the way down and it planes easier. Adjusting the tabs to lower the bow also allows it to plane easier. It will plane, especially when giving it lots of power, but I prefer to take off more slowly. My issue is when having to speed up, slow down, speeding up again, etc, ie when going through no wake zones, or slowing down for a large boat's wake, it becomes an ordeal to keep trimming and re trimming motor and tabs. I might just add weight to the emply bow storage area, but I just thought removing stern weight and adding bow weight would be more effective and more efficient.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I've only been using offshore boats for a few years but it sounds like you may have another problem to identify. I don't really see battery weight having that much affect on a boat that size. But to rule it out, get a few sandbags and place them to simulate what you're planning on doing to see if it's worth the effort.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You mentioned taking off slowly. That actually burns more fuel as compared to getting on plane quickly. Plowing a big hole in the water is very inefficient and the quicker you can get past that phase the better. I'm not saying take off like a rocket (although you're not hurting the engine at all if you do), but a smooth, quick throttle advancement to get you up on plane quickly is best. When a boat isn't given enough throttle, the stern just squats down into a hole and you're displacing a lot of water during that time (inefficient).

Did you look into that auto tab controller I mentioned? If you're not comfortable with or tired of adjusting trims, that will at least negate the need to do the tabs. Chances are, since the ATC will likely call for full deflection on takeoff, you may be able to leave the engine trim slightly trimmed up and not have to mess with that, either.

wlewis

Reaction score
I did look at the Bennet auto trim controller online. I'm sure it would help, but it just seems simpler to redistribute some weight from the stern to at least the consoles if possible. The boat simply sits too low in the stern. The scuppers are mostly underwater, especially with full fuel. Sitting a passenger in the bow makes a world of a difference.

richie rich

Reaction score
batteries mid ship would be good...all the way to the bow will be costly for the wiring and can damage the battery itself from all the pounding.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sure, that would work fine. I like moving them to the console area better than all the way forward for the reasons I mentioned above. Don't skimp on the wiring/connections - make sure you use the right stuff.

Before you do this, though... Is there anything heavy that you normally carry in the aft that you can relocate to the bow?

wlewis

Reaction score
No, I don't carry anything I the stern. Seldom even use the fishbox for anything other than to stow fenders. As someone suggested earlier, I've considerd packaging together some type of easily transportable weight, ie bags of lead shot or something, to stow in the bow compartment when I don't have a passenger up there. The only downside to relocating batteries to console, is both would have to go in starboard console. That could cause boat to list to that side, especially when running boat by myself. Back to using trim tabs to straighten her out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
wlewis said:
That could cause boat to list to that side, especially when running boat by myself. Back to using trim tabs to straighten her out.

...Which the Bennett ATC would do automatically.... :D

Or put some weight in the port side... I know, more weight!

GWTour275

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a thought, the motor should be trimmed all the way down when starting from off plane, very difficult to get the boat on plane when the motor is not trimmed all the way down

wlewis

Reaction score
Ideally, a battery in each console would balance the weight, but with a portable head in port console, there's really not much room for a battery or ballast weight. Perhaps strategically placed weights behind and on the sides of head would work.....if there's enough room. I do trim the motor all the ay down when starting off, but as mentioned earlier, the re-trimming of motor and trim tabs becomes annoying when slowing down, speeding up, slowing down again, etc as when going though no wake zones and crossing large wakes.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What engine/engine hp and what prop are you using? Hard to believe the batteries are the issue. I assume you have checked the bilge for water, leaks etc.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
g0tagrip said:
What engine/engine hp and what prop are you using? Hard to believe the batteries are the issue. I assume you have checked the bilge for water, leaks etc.

I think, if I understand correctly, power is not the issue. He's just "lazy" and doesn't want to mess with constantly trimming up/down going through a bunch of no wakes, etc. Nothing rude meant there - just some good-natured ribbing! :D

wlewis

Reaction score
Power is definitely not the issue and the bilge is dry. I can get it up on plane in a hurry by giving it power, but my passengers don't always appreciate it. Lazy perhaps, but I'd call it more of a PITA to repeatedly have to readjust trim every time I hit a wake or a no wake zone. I think it is more of a function of a heavy 4 stroke extended out on a bracket. My Gulfstream handled very similarly. Other 22 and 23 footers without brackets seem better balanced and don't rely nearly as much on trimming. I realized this when test driving the 225 before I bought it, but accepted that realizing the positives greatly out weighed the negatives. I'm merely just trying to improve it if possible.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This may be simply my own thought process about this, but I don't think moving the batteries is going to do as much as you're hoping. Moving weight forward will certainly have an effect, but it's not going to ELIMINATE the constant trimming that you're doing. You're still going to have to keep adjusting the trims - just very slightly less. The only way that might eliminate it is the ATC. Like I mentioned above, you may not even need to readjust your drive trim - in other words, leave it slightly trimmed up - even when you're going from a slow speed to back on plane. Granted, it won't pop up quite as fast, but because the tabs will be fully deflected they will counter most of that. How wide are your tabs? You may be able to add a wider tab (inexpensive) which will also have a dramatic impact on your hole shot.

wlewis

Reaction score
All good thoughts. I'm only thinking batteries because there is nothing else than can be moved or relocated. I'm guessing batteries at 80 pounds. Removing 80 from the stern and adding 80 the midsection should make some difference. I know adding a lightweight person in the bow makes a pretty significant difference. My trim tabs are factory installed Bennett's. I would guess them to be 8 inches wide+/-.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If they're only 8' or 10" wide, you may very well be able to add wider ones. Once you know exactly what you have, contact Tom at Bennett. He is EXCELLENT to deal with. If you want to go down that route, he'll tell you exactly what you can do and can't and how much. You can't go wrong by having wider tabs. FYI, width is more important than length.

GulfSea

Reaction score
wlewis said:
All good thoughts. I'm only thinking batteries because there is nothing else than can be moved or relocated. I'm guessing batteries at 80 pounds. Removing 80 from the stern and adding 80 the midsection should make some difference. I know adding a lightweight person in the bow makes a pretty significant difference. My trim tabs are factory installed Bennett's. I would guess them to be 8 inches wide+/-.

I'm sure you've already checked but if not make sure the bracket doesn't have water in it. The bracket provides flotation too.