Relocating fuel tank 24 offshore

wsh2fsh

Reaction score
Hi All
So I am working on a 89 offshore and just pulled the gas tank. Turns out the forward compartment was originally designed for a second tank of the same size, with the fill and vent line already in place. Considering the weight issues with newer motors I was considering moving the tank forward because I am concerned about the scupper height already at the waterline. Anyone have any experience or opinion on the matter? Boat does have trim tabs too. Really want to go four stroke............. :jaw
Thanks for the input

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I thought that aft tank spot was for a smaller tank? I have a 92 gallon tank in the forward spot. But... my boat was originally a "Weekender" in that it had a stern drive - later converted to an outboard. Same hull and forward deck as an Offshore, though - I thought the fuel tanks situation would of been the same, too.

But, sure - I don't see a problem with relocating. Plan on changing the fuel fill and vent line, though. They're likely dry-rotted.

lime4x4

Reaction score
below is a pick from my manual from grady for my 1987 24 offshore. It shows the main tank in the rear and aux in the front. I had emailed grady about this at one time cause my boat as twin outboards and my main tank is located in the front. Grady informed me that twin engine outboard boats the main tank was located in the front to help even out the weight of the twin engines

20141003_133917.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That makes sense, John, then as to why mine is in the front, too. The extra weight of (originally) of the stern drive/engine would be similar in overall weight to your twins.

plecofish

Reaction score
Dennis,

Last April, I removed both tanks on my 1987 Offshore 24 (closed transom with bracket). Got much advice here and on THT.

I had a 55 gallon tank fabricated by a local place, copied specs of the old aux tank which was in my aft well. I discarded the 95 gallon main tank, moved the new 55 up front, replaced all wood braces, rubber mats, and made shims with starboard, poxyed to tank, replaced the fuel line and vents. I now have half of the forward void open, the entire aft open.

Boat ran great and lighter last season.

Next project will be to install another fuel tank as an aux for longer fishing trips and put back the water holding tank.

I felt that with today's fuel prices and ethanol issues in fuel that sits around too long, 55 gallons would suit my boating/fishing needs. I bring a spare 12 gallon deck tank with me and a shaker hose just in case. never a problem, and I burn all the fuel as I need it.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Pleco