Relocating primer balls

teaklejr

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has relocated the Fuel primer balls from outside the engine splash well to inside bilge area before the fuel hoses exit through rigging tube? I feel it’s ugly and not needed to have them outside the boat. Only time you would hopefully need them is after replacing fuel filters. Our boat is 2007 305 Express just for info.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 2000 Seafarer, the primer bulb is in the compartment under the port aft jump seat, where the battery and the oil tank are. I have a bracket, so no splashwell, but it can be located farther from the motor. Mine is 6-7 feet from the motor.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a Eurotransom and mine are under the rear seat on the port side. Probably 4' from the motor.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Interesting question. Mounting them before they exit that stern compartment would put them out of the way, but kind of a PITA to access them. That being said in 3 seasons with my 305, I don't think I have ever needed to squeeze the primer balls. Mine are mounted to the bottom surface of the rigging tubes and are completely out of site.

seasick

Reaction score
On Myotherboat, they are in the bilge. When the boat not used for a longish time, I sometimes need to use them

Fishtales

Reaction score
If they bother you, by all means move em. I've never used them in 14 years (dealer likely does when changing filters and separators).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My 265 has them inside the " battery compartments" between the filters and the motors.
I like them there since the new Suzuki rigging tubes make evrything neat in the splashwell.

There are drawbacks though.
First, they need to have some slack but that means they could be laying in the wrong position. Ideally, the arrow should point UP toward the motor so the check valve works best.

Second: On my yamahas we had pulled them up to squeeze them during some troubleshooting.... days later I went for a ride and a motor died after I left the dock.
Lowering the motor had caused fuel line to come tight and the hosebarb had snapped clean off the bulb. Luckily that was the highest point and it didn't spill a drop!