Remote Control Shift Cable adjustment? Yam HPDI.

Sketchywind

Reaction score
My Port side HPDI grinds before settling in Reverse. The STB side goes in fairly easily with a slight " thunk". I'm thinking that the shift control cable is out of range and it needs an adjustment. Can it be the lower unit was not sync with upper unit when replacing water impellers?
Are the throttle and shift cables easy to adjust? The service manual looks easy enough, but I still cannot located the neutral mark on the cowling.
Any suggestions on a grinding issue going into reverse?
Thx

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Sketchywind said:
My Port side HPDI grinds before settling in Reverse. The STB side goes in fairly easily with a slight " thunk". I'm thinking that the shift control cable is out of range and it needs an adjustment. Can it be the lower unit was not sync with upper unit when replacing water impellers?
Are the throttle and shift cables easy to adjust? The service manual looks easy enough, but I still cannot located the neutral mark on the cowling.
Any suggestions on a grinding issue going into reverse?
Thx

If you had the impellers done recently most definitely the shift shaft spline could have been misaligned by one spline going into the upper housing. When I do them I always make sure the controls are in neutral and I make sure i do not move the shift shaft at all when servicing the lower unit.

You need to take a look back at the motor under the motor cover. See which way the "throw" is on the cable when putting it into reverse, and just compensate by either adding a few threads or backing down a few threads on the cable adjustment. It is very easy to do once you locate the cable and see how it operates. Usually only takes a full turn or two in either direction to get it to operate smoothly.

Sketchywind

Reaction score
Yes, I think you are right about the shift splines being off a bit. The lower end was off and on by the previous owner and he had to get it definitely moved out of neutral after the water impeller replacement.
By moving the adjustment, do I still need to drop the lower unit and center up the splines? Or the does cable adjustment adjust the neutral setting?
The HPDI manual says to remove the cable from the clip, line up the neutral line with the slider Mark and adjust the cable to the new setting. Is that about right?
Thx

jbrinch88

Reaction score
sounds right to me. It's shouldn't take much. Have the motor running while you're adjusting it. Every turn you take up on the adjustment, slide it back into its place just to see if it made a difference while going into gear.

Theres usually enough adjustment in the cable to correct for being 1 spline off or so. I doubt he was off more than that because he would have put the lower on and if he moved the prop he would have realized the lower end was already in gear.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Also (not trying to offend here) but make sure you're adjusting the right cable. You can simply check this by moving the handle into forward and reverse while looking back at the boat under the motor cover where the cables come in. The shift cable will be the first one to move, then the throttle cable.

Sketchywind

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I didn't think of running the motor while making the adjustment. Yes, the spline did move into gear when he put the new impeller on. Looks like pulling the two clips off will remove the lower shift cable end, then loosen the little set screw. Looks like the cable end spins out or in for the adjustment.
I may try tackling the throttle cable adjustment too. The binnacle feels stiff going into forward throttle and reverse throttle engages pass the first click position.