Remote Oil Tank Location

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am the new owner of a 1998 Adventure 208 with a 1994 Yamaha 200 motor. Could someone please tell me the likely location of my motor's remote oil tank on this boat? Thank you kindly. Jonboat Bob

seasick

Reaction score
On all 208s that I know, the tank is in the Aft port locker.. If it is not there it is quite possible that the previous owner removed it and ran on premixed gas.
I assume that the motor is a 2 stroke. In order to run a 2 stroke without low oil alarms, the sensor wiring would have to be rigged to make the ECU think there was sufficient oil. The downside to removing the oil system is that the motor will run the same gas/oil mix ratio for all speeds. That might result in too much oil at low speeds and subsequent plug fouling and carbon buildup.
If you have a 2 stroke and no oil tank and have been running without pre-mixed oil, you will eventually blow the motor

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
On all 208s that I know, the tank is in the Aft port locker.. If it is not there it is quite possible that the previous owner removed it and ran on premixed gas.
I assume that the motor is a 2 stroke. In order to run a 2 stroke without low oil alarms, the sensor wiring would have to be rigged to make the ECU think there was sufficient oil. The downside to removing the oil system is that the motor will run the same gas/oil mix ratio for all speeds. That might result in too much oil at low speeds and subsequent plug fouling and carbon buildup.
If you have a 2 stroke and no oil tank and have been running without pre-mixed oil, you will eventually blow the motor
Thank you for the information. The motor is a 2 stroke. I will definitely research this issue further before taking the boat out.
It's typically in the back of the boat. Is it not there? It's not that small - it can't really hide anywhere.
It's typically in the back of the boat. Is it not there? It's not that small - it can't really hide anywhere.
Dennis - thank you for the reply. I think seasick is correct - a former owner has removed the oil tanks, there is also no oil reservoir under the 2 cycle motor's cowling that I can find. I purchased Yamaha's service manual for this motor and there is no oil reservoir where the book shows one to be. I guess I'll be mixing my oil and gasoline until I can repower this 1994 motor. Thanks again for your replies. Bob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, if you don't see it, it's not there - especially since you don't have the main tank. Mixing is not "ideal", but it'll work just fine - just a little more maintenance like Seasick mentioned. On the plus side, there's no chance of the system failing and causing a (potentially expensive) problem.

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah, if you don't see it, it's not there - especially since you don't have the main tank. Mixing is not "ideal", but it'll work just fine - just a little more maintenance like Seasick mentioned. On the plus side, there's no chance of the system failing and causing a (potentially expensive) problem.
Thanks, Dennis. Would you recommend a 50:1 fuel:eek:il ratio? Bob

seasick

Reaction score
The Yamaha Precision Oil System, varies the ratio depending on throttle position only and that ratio typically varies from 100:1 at idle to about a max of 40:1 at WOT. I think 50:1 premix is a good number. I do recommend you add Ring Free to your gas also.
I think that the worst that will happen is more smoke than normal and perhaps some fouling of the plugs

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My old 200 2s used to foul the bottom plugs, until I switched from Yamalube to systhetic. Something to consider if you have any problems with straight pre-mix.
Thank you, glacierbaze, seasick, and Dennis. I do not know the reason why the oil injection system had been taken out, but your advice will help keep this new-to-me boat and motor propelling forward, and occasionally backward. Bob

seasick

Reaction score
"and occasionally backward"
Chuckle:)