remote oil tank primer bulb

capt1947

Reaction score
The 1995 remote oil tank in my 95 223 tournament did not have a oil squeeze primer bulb. Before installation, I would like to know if there is a standard or common location in the oil line, for it.
Comments are appreciated.
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
To my knowledge there is no primer bulb for the oil, only for fuel

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suppose this probably depends on the engine you have, less on the boat. But don't most Yamaha's use a 12V pump in the boat-mounted oil tank? I would "imagine" that this is probably a pretty standard thing across the various engine lines since I can't imagine any of the engine-mounted pumps being strong enough to draw oil.

capt1947

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. There is a small 12v inline motor at the remote tank. The only thing that comes to mind would be ,with the bulb you could manually pump oil up to the main tank and the bulb also incorporates a built in check valve, I think. With the bulb ,would you not be able to keep the oil supply line to the engine, full of oil?
My old ta nk did not have a bulb but the new kit included one.

I'm just looking to do what is corret. My engine is a 1995 Yamaha 200hp txrt.
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's no need for the primer bulb for your setup. When the engine-mounted oil tank gets low, it will turn on the pump and oil from the boat-mounted reservoir will fill the engine mounted tank. If the pump should fail, just pour your oil (from the spare/extra oil you keep onboard in jugs) directly into the engine-mounted tank to keep it full.

I don't "think" the primer bulb would create a problem for the pump (making it work harder), but I'm not positive, either. Besides, it would take you A LOT of pumping to fill the engine tank via the bulb. That would be very inefficient.