remote oil tank removal

soundwave15

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Fisherman 222 and need to change the remote oil tank filter. The filter and tank seem to be in a ridiculous location and I am having difficulty removing the tank. At this point all I think I need to do is remove the main fill hose and I would be able to shimmy it out, but I can't get enough leverage to pull it off.

Has anyone ever done this or have any suggestions? I would appreciate it.

thx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sounds like your tank is different than mine. I only have a cap that gets removed to fill the tank directly. But you're saying that you have a barb/nipple off the tank that is connected to a remote fill area by a hose?

Can you lever it off with a large screwdriver/pry bar/wonder bar? Or is the hose really stiff? Maybe you can unscrew the deck fill and pull up from there? Or, at least, with the deck fill loose, the stiff hose may come off the tank easier.

seasick

Reaction score
Inserting a small screwdriver or mini pry bar between the fitting and the hose and doing that in several spots can break the bond between a hose and a fitting. If that doesn't work, heating the hose end with a heat gun also can work but be careful not to overheat the fitting on the tank. It probably is plastic.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 222 cap design makes the 2 stern compartments “deep”. It’s not uncommon for those boats to have the remote fill kit added. The kit includes a deck fill and hose that runs to the tank and connects where the fill cap would be. You will need to pry it off. Try running some hot water over the hose to soften it so you can get it off.