Remove gas tank hatch on a 305

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Need to remove the gas tank hatch to get.to the re enforcement plate on the deck of my 305express to mount a Rocket Launcher pedestal. Anyone know the best way to re seal the hatch. I think it’s going to be heavy / bulky and difficult to re seal. Any advise ??

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just use silicone. The outdoor type for Windows & gutters. I prefer to seal it after it is down. That makes it easier to take up again.
You can put a small bead in the corner of the deck flange first and get a more lasting seal. Don't over do it because it will be too difficult to get up again.Then seal top when in place

Some people put a string in there to pull up.

DO NOT USE 3M 4200 OR 5200

Reactions: handinpalm

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Silicone will work, seem to recall there is a color (almond, maybe) that is a very close match. I've used boat life sealant for this purpose as well, agree with Skunk - the 5200 and 4200 are not appropriate for this application.

For a neat application, put the deck down, and screw tight. Run masking tape on both sides of the seam, all the way around the perimeter. Apply the caulking, and with a scraper, smooth out the caulking. Remove tape, and it is a professional result. There are specific tools made to finish caulking, especially around inside corners, but for this a straight piece should be sufficient.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I tape mine out with blue tape and caulk. As advised do not use 4200/5200 its too much of an adhesive. I had used GE premium silicone in the past but just tried 3M 4000. Went down fine, looks good and should be easy to remove but I don't know that yet.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just used GE Advanced Silicone in Almond to do the same thing. Blends well with my 2000 228.

Just cut the tip off thick to make life easier for you. I used 1.5 of the large tubes

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Just use silicone. The outdoor type for Windows & gutters. I prefer to seal it after it is down. That makes it easier to take up again.
You can put a small bead in the corner of the deck flange first and get a more lasting seal. Don't over do it because it will be too difficult to get up again.Then seal top when in place

Some people put a string in there to pull up.

DO NOT USE 3M 4200 OR 5200
Thanks good idea definitely would not use 4200-5200

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks to all who replied definitely no 4200-5200

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just used GE Advanced Silicone in Almond to do the same thing. Blends well with my 2000 228.

Just cut the tip off thick to make life easier for you. I used 1.5 of the large tubes

not sure if it changed, but this is what GW recommended. they use the commercial version but GE silicone II was the retail one. good luck, ron

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have not pulled the deck off my 305. However when I pulled the deck up on my previous Grady I used the GE silicone(outdoor) to seal it. I also used the foam caulk backer rod from HD in the crack then topped it off with the silicon, which sat nice and even on top of the foam. Is the deck plate on your 305 Screwed down? My deck plates have no screws on the outside.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score

^^^ This. It's what the dealers use.

Reactions: Dand1

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You can also run some thick mono around the hatch prior to using the silicone. The next time you need to get in just pull the mono to break the seal. I do this on the small rear one that I have to get into for service.