Remove Windshield from CC...???

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Has anyone done this? If so, thoughts?

This is my first center console. all other boats i have had or have run had no top and the windshield stopped at chest height when i stood at the helm. this gave me 360 unobstructed view. I realize i will have to get used to the tubing for the T-top, but the windshield is bugging me. for starters, it isnt super clear. it looks like it either has micro swirls on the surface, or micro cracks internally. these are worst when the sun is hitting it (i have a Meguires headlight restore kit that i will use this weekend to try get rid of them). secondly, i dont really like that it is tinted.

i find myself standing off to the side of the console so i can see better. i never minded the wind in my face on previous boats. i am thinking of taking the windshield off completely. hopefully somebody has done this and can provide some insight.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are your "thoughts" centered around how to do it... or just what it will be like without it? I have not removed a windshield on that particular boat, but they are typically pretty straight forward and easy to figure out. For the latter question... well, that's pretty explanatory - wind in your face. 30MPH in this boat is the same as 30MPH in your previous boats :)

You're already aware of the downfalls - wind, rain, etc. But if you're good with it - go for it. Doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks. ;)

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i was more looking for opinions on how it would be without it. not sure if wind gets trapped under the top and funnels through and it would be worse. also, i wasnt sure if there are some pros of having it that i havent experienced yet or havent given consideration to.

i assume they are there for a reason, but i still get a fair amount of wind blowing in my face, not a whole lot less than standing to the side

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i guess with the windshield, you can keep a wallet, phone or other small items on top of the console...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've run similar boats without a windshield but with a hardtop. I don't recall it really being any different because of the hardtop.

You could always cut the windshield down a little - maybe that would give you what you're looking for? Keep things from flying away - but not in your line of sight.

I do think, though, that IF you can compound out the scratches, it would make a world of difference.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Was out last weekend on my cc boat with windshield, started to rain. The boat next to me had no windshield we both took off and when we got to the low bridge waiting for it to open he said he wished he had a windshield and wiper. We were dry he had little red spots all over him where the rain pelted him. Something to think about.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Get a new polycarbonate windshield made. They only last a few years. The UV takes its toll.

On my 268 Islander I have a one-piece full width polycarbonate panel. I have side panels that we can put up if needed but usually run without. Took the wipers off the glass windshield this year. Didn't miss them a bit.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Get a new polycarbonate windshield made. They only last a few years. The UV takes its toll.

On my 268 Islander I have a one-piece full width polycarbonate panel. I have side panels that we can put up if needed but usually run without. Took the wipers off the glass windshield this year. Didn't miss them a bit.
any idea what a ball park cost would be? i think that could be an awesome option, especially since i could go to clear rather than tinted. im trying to think what kind of shop would make a make/bend windshield (mine is 3 sided, wrapping around two corners). i guess i can ask my marina if they know anyone that bends poly

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Was out last weekend on my cc boat with windshield, started to rain. The boat next to me had no windshield we both took off and when we got to the low bridge waiting for it to open he said he wished he had a windshield and wiper. We were dry he had little red spots all over him where the rain pelted him. Something to think about.
is your windshield full height? (top of console to bottom of your hard top). mine only goes up half way so i still get a lot of wind in my face/chest

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
any idea what a ball park cost would be? i think that could be an awesome option, especially since i could go to clear rather than tinted. im trying to think what kind of shop would make a make/bend windshield (mine is 3 sided, wrapping around two corners). i guess i can ask my marina if they know anyone that bends poly

Not sure on price. I do my own work so I can’t give you a price.The material can be curved. Bending is complex involving heat and a jig. Not something a local fabricator would tackle.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Not sure on price. I do my own work so I can’t give you a price.The material can be curved. Bending is complex involving heat and a jig. Not something a local fabricator would tackle.
kind of what i assumed :confused:. i see you are in south jersey, im in south east PA, do you know anyone that can do that? i wouldnt mind driving a couple hours for the right situation

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Yes I have a full height windshield. I also like the wind in my face, but when running an hour or so to the fishing grounds its nice to get out of the wind.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know pricing - but I've seen companies online that can make what you want - try googling for center console windshields.

On the other hand... and this would be my choice... I would have a piece of eisenglass (or similar material) made to fit between the front poles of the t-top supports. Think of a big piece of clear vinyl with a 2" border of canvas. It would then attach (quickly/easily) to the poles either by putting snaps (maybe turn-snaps) into the poles or possibly with straps that wrap around the poles and snap back onto the main piece. Two side pieces could also be made. That would give you the most flexibility, I think?

It could made to roll up or down to get some wind, if you want. Or even put a smile in it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Makrolon polycarbonate 40mil was $100 for a 4x8 sheet. I haven’t brought it lately. If the shop can’t wrap the corners then make a separate piece and zipper vertically. The front piece should be track top and bottom -slide in on bottom and zipper across top. Use Stamoid for borders.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Your boat would be a little different. Mine snaps down to the windshield as did my old enclosure. I have a zipper attached to the keder awning rail in the original track with a zipper. I didn't need the zipper because of the snaps. In your case you should have keder awning rail top and bottom. Zipper should be up top because it may not be accessible below. Some guys put larger borders up top and add a zipped open/close vent with screen.

I made zipper in side panels as well. Almost never use them. Should have gone smaller. But they are easy to stow and put up if needed on the water. Depending on your helm you may be able to make the turn (bend). It's more work for the canvas guy and more expensive. I would put the vertical zipper where it naturally wants to fall maybe along a aluminum leg so it doesn't get in your line of sight.

The only thing I don't like on mine is the horizontal border in my line of sight. It's the smallest I could make it without removing the windshield.

New Enclosure.jpg

Sunbrella "Navy". Trivantage $138.03 TUFFAK® (Makrolon®) VR Polycarbonate Sheets 0.040 x 52" x 110" Clear (1 pack)
Can be sewn with Sailrite sewing machine.

Be prepared to replace the panel at maybe 5 years depending on how much sun exposure. Maybe have two panels made - should be a lot less expensive for the second one.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
kind of what i assumed :confused:. i see you are in south jersey, im in south east PA, do you know anyone that can do that? i wouldnt mind driving a couple hours for the right situation
This really is a simple job. You need to find someone who has experience sewing Makrolon. This is a rectangular piece that can be curved, a borders, keder awning and zippers. Track top and bottom. The problem is it is a small job.

Where do you do your boating?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
thanks all for the insight. i spoke with my canvas guy yesterday. ill probably ditch the current windshield and get poly sewn into canvas for a wind shield