Removing a bolster problems

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I can’t figure out how to get my side bolsters off my 2021 235 Freedom. I see the 3/8” diameter drain holes on the bottom of the bolster pad but I just see foam inside. Also, I can see that a screw does go through the bolster and into the fiberglass gunnel side panel but I don’t see how getting access to the screw head from the bottom is going to help me to remove the screw. Even if I dig around in the foam and find the screw head I would be seeing the screw head from the side of the screw head. I can see the bolster clips as I look in the narrow space between the fiberglass and the bolster so I understand how that would work, but I just can’t figure out how to get access to the screwheads. Any advice?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Go back to how you started - the grommet. That's the way to do it. Move the foam away and find the screw head. That's the way it was put it in so that's the way it comes out :)

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You have to push the grommet up into the foam and rotate it a little so your screwdriver can meet the screwhead at the proper angle. Push up hard, get western with it and you will get it. The foam will kinda obscure the screw head at times but push your screwdriver right through the foam till you feel the screw. Also, the screw may not be perfectly perpendicular to the fiberglass of the gunnel because the young fella puttin that screw in was fighting the same problems you are getting it out, so you may have to feel around a bit to get the screwdriver in the proper attitude. Dennis is right. All you gotta do is reverse what someone already did.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
First time is the toughest - takes a while to find the righangle to hit the screw hit. Wiggle the screw driver around and you will eventually find it. I found mine were tight enough on the clips so I skipped the screws reinstalling - have not had any issues in 5 years. Makes it easy to clean underneath them and to inspect the clips.