Removing a Fischer Panda from a 330 Express

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I posted earlier about an oil pressure issue with the Fischer Panda 4200 in my 2006 330 Express. My mechanic - who seems like a good guy - just sent me the following:

Estimated labor to remove generator from boat and bring to shop. 8.0 Hrs. @ $ 95.00 = $ 760.00
Estimated labor to dissemble unit and evaluate reason for low oil pressure 6.0 Hrs. @ 95.00 = $ 570.00
Not included in this estimate is the cost for a yard to lift unit out of the bilge of the boat load it into our service vehicle any yard fees associated with this process or our time involved with this process. This could take6-8 Hrs. Additionally the cost to repair the low oil pressure problem or reinstall the unit is not included in this estimate.
We are at $ 2,185.00 - $ 2,375.00 just to determine why this generator has no oil pressure.

Is it worth it? It sounds like in the end this could easily get to be a $5k fix. Is there any of that I could do myself? I plan on doing overnight trips at anchor with the family this summer and also overnight sword trips, so the genny is key. Just trying to figure out if there are other, better options. It seems like the bulk of the cost is in getting it out of the boat to work on and then putting it back. Anyone pick one of these apart without havimg to remove it?

Thanks,

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Before I gave up on this engine, I'd call Farymann Diesel and ask them for advice/ideas. They built the engine. My bet is they'd be able to tell you if it's worth the trouble. It is a very simple one cylinder engine, gear drive oil pump and I believe could be removed as an assembly. Not easy, but ... I believe it's a Farymann engine type 18W430 Eco Version 3600rpm

Farymann North America
1016 W Church St
Orlando, FL 32805-2216
Phone: 864-627-8143
Fax: 864-627-8144
Email: info@farymann.com

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Seems like whether you repair this one or replace, you're still faced with the labor to pull it out and put it back in (if you go that route). So, at least from that standpoint, that's a cost you incur no matter which way you go and doesn't (shouldn't) really enter into the decision making process - since it's kind of a "wash", so to say.

That said, I like Bill's idea of doing some more research. A phone call is cheap.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd replace it and see what you can get for it.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I tried Farryman yesterday, but there was no answer all day. Probably storm-related. I will try them again on Monday. I hadn't thought to call them. The mechanic and I had the Fischer rep down in Florida on the phone, and he couldn't give us an answer. Hopefully Farryman has something.

If they don't, has anyone removed a FP 4200 before? How bad was it? Any tips? I may be naive, but I would imagine de-rigging it is something I should be able to handle myself, and I can probably figure out a way to get it out of the boat myself as well and deliver it to the mechanic. I would have him re-install it. Not trying to be cheap. I just hate paying tons of money for stuff I could do myself.

JoleGW33

Reaction score
I tried Farryman yesterday, but there was no answer all day. Probably storm-related. I will try them again on Monday. I hadn't thought to call them. The mechanic and I had the Fischer rep down in Florida on the phone, and he couldn't give us an answer. Hopefully Farryman has something.

If they don't, has anyone removed a FP 4200 before? How bad was it? Any tips? I may be naive, but I would imagine de-rigging it is something I should be able to handle myself, and I can probably figure out a way to get it out of the boat myself as well and deliver it to the mechanic. I would have him re-install it. Not trying to be cheap. I just hate paying tons of money for stuff I could do myself.

Derigging and removing the FP is not a bad job, as long as you can fit around the generator and an assist to lift it up out. Do as much research and look into alternatives, replacing with new FP is really expensing.

seasick

Reaction score
My concern is that he may not find out what the issue is and even if he thinks he did, what happens if he didn't. That's a lot of expense for a no guaranty repair.
The gen set weighs about 300 pounds so it's not simple to lift out but it is probably doable with the proper straps and a few friends. Disconnecting all the plumbing and wiring shouldn't be all that bad. Just make sure you document the connections.
Personally, I probably would't go the mechanic removal/teardown route. Two many risks and no guarantees.

seasick

Reaction score
I can't remember if the generator is set back in the mechanical compartment or placed in the open area. If the later case, it wouldn't be too difficult to make up a dual a frame with a 4x4 cross bar above the hatch area and use a come along or a equivalent hoist to lift the unit up.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I thought about the beat-your-head-against-the-wall factor with the mechanic fixing the wrong problem. He can, however, get it running under load at his shop, so we should be able to run it for a few hours to be sure.

If Farryman doesn't have an easier answer, I think derigging and removing myself for delivery to the mechanic is the answer. Still a pain in the rear and still gonna costs bucks, but this way I can save a little and learn alot about the genny in the process.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I can't get anyone to answer the phone at Farryman. Nor have I gotten a response to my email. Anyone know why that might be?

seasick

Reaction score
I thought about the beat-your-head-against-the-wall factor with the mechanic fixing the wrong problem. He can, however, get it running under load at his shop, so we should be able to run it for a few hours to be sure.

If Farryman doesn't have an easier answer, I think derigging and removing myself for delivery to the mechanic is the answer. Still a pain in the rear and still gonna costs bucks, but this way I can save a little and learn alot about the genny in the process.
My take on the original issue was that it took some time operating at sea. If the issue is related to motion, then it won't show up when bench tested. Now if the mechanic tears it down and finds something was left out or installed incorrectly, I would feel better but that's the risk. The mechanic may find nothing and then what?

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My take on the original issue was that it took some time operating at sea. If the issue is related to motion, then it won't show up when bench tested. Now if the mechanic tears it down and finds something was left out or installed incorrectly, I would feel better but that's the risk. The mechanic may find nothing and then what?

I see your point. However, it happens when it is tied up to the dock.

Stampr

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just had mine pulled out to put a new business end ,he put a beam across the gunnels and a small block and tackle and had it out in 2 hrs

Scott D

Reaction score
I removed my FP4200 from my Marlin last year to fix a clogged raw water passage on the gen end. Disconnecting everything (fuel in and out, raw water in and out, exhaust, 12V power in, 12V power out, control connections) is time consuming and tedious because you need to mark it all to get it back properly. That takes 2-3 hours unless you’re very experienced doing it. I used a 2x10 across the gunnel and a small chain hoist to get it on deck. From there 2 of us lifted it to the gunnel then to the dock where we strapped it to a hand truck.

I would work on it in the boat. The engine is not bad to access. In my case I needed to pull the engine and gen end out of the case to work on it so that was not an option.

The FP is no doubt a POS and gives me nothing but trouble.

I did build a little flush device so I can thread a garden hose adapter to the sea strainer and flush it after use.

Good luck.

DMYERS

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I removed my FP4200 from my Marlin last year to fix a clogged raw water passage on the gen end. Disconnecting everything (fuel in and out, raw water in and out, exhaust, 12V power in, 12V power out, control connections) is time consuming and tedious because you need to mark it all to get it back properly. That takes 2-3 hours unless you’re very experienced doing it. I used a 2x10 across the gunnel and a small chain hoist to get it on deck. From there 2 of us lifted it to the gunnel then to the dock where we strapped it to a hand truck.

I would work on it in the boat. The engine is not bad to access. In my case I needed to pull the engine and gen end out of the case to work on it so that was not an option.

The FP is no doubt a POS and gives me nothing but trouble.

I did build a little flush device so I can thread a garden hose adapter to the sea strainer and flush it after use.

Good luck.