Removing an old name off the hull

Wally World

Reaction score
Any tips on removing Hull decals (Boat Name) off the side of a boat? I've heard heating them up? any input would be beneficial.

Thank you

Chris
"Wally World"

seasick

Reaction score
Usually heat will work. A heat gun works but be careful not to overheat. A hair dryer may work too and is less likely to scorth the finish. There may very well be a ghost image of the old name when the decals are removed since the gel coat may have faded a bit where the decals weren't. If so, it can be difficult to get rid of the images.
All that aside, if you are superstitious, there are procedures to remove a name and rename a boat. I won't go into all the details but at a minimum it is bad luck for the new owner to remove the old name. You need to have somebody else do the job.
Of course if you are OK tempting fate, go ahead:)

chesapeake

Reaction score
You may never be able to get rid of the ghost letters. I and my yearly waxing guy tried everything but they still can be seen when the light shines different ways.

mboyatt

Reaction score
X2 on the heat gun. My gun has a low heat setting, which worked great for removing the name and stripes from my hull. Wet sanding the hull removed my ghost image. Sanding, compound, wax. Good lick with your project!

Reaction score
... this is how I get off vinyl stripes and stickers. Rubber eraser wheel, works with most drill's.
p65.jpg

http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-erase...=40408680567&gclid=CIPigdqW_LYCFUJx4Aod8z8AiA

...this is how I removed my stripes and old numbers from my boat.

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I removed my old stripes, decals and registration numbers using a hair dryer. I took me a about and hour to do the whole boat. I used acetone and a razor blade to clean up any gooey residue. You can wax and polish all you want but that will never get rid of the ghosting. You will need to wet sand the area with 1000 then 1600/2000 grit paper and then compound the area with a DA or Direct Drive polisher and finish with a good wax. That should remove 99% of any ghosted remnants.

If it were me, which it was this past weekend, I would wet sand the whole hull, compound it and wax it while all the decals are off.

Before
2013-04-27_15-22-35_217_zps8ac1dbf1.jpg

After
477279_10200405337708309_2053031997_o_zps3c838e01.jpg