Removing and replacing striping.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I removed the stripe from our boat. The stripe had to be removed. The previous owner replaced the stripe but he did it in one to two foot pieces and it was peeling and some was gone. I have a new stripe comming. I have two questions, how do I get the glue from the old that remains off and how hard will the new one be to put on?

Thanks, Rick

bottomline

Reaction score
I just did ALL the stripping and the decals on my 92 Explorer.

Getting the glue off after you get the old stripping off was the most difficult part.

I tried EVERY product you can think of and all the stuff I read up on many other sites about what to use. Things like Goo Gone, Goof off, WD-40, Acetone, carb cleaner, 3M adhesive remover, and even oven cleaner. The only thing that worked the best for me was the acetone - by far!

Do this in a well ventilated area. Get a good pair of rubber gloves, a couple of quarts of acetone, a bunch of rags. SOAK the rags and wipe the glue back and forth with a some pressure. It will come off. Once the glue starts to get 'goo--ey', wipe in the same direction (not back & forth). Change sections of the rag frequently as the glue that dissolves off the boat goes on the rag. If you keep using the same section, all you are doing is reapplying the glue (don't ask how I know that :-| ).

Take your time and get it ALL off. I made the mistake (lazy) in a few spots where I left some small crumb sized spots of glue thinking the new striping would hide it - NO it won't. When your done, you may notice a difference in shading on the hull from where the old stripping was compared to the exposed hull. After you are done this will not be as noticeable.

As for putting on the new stripping here is what I learned.
1) Start at the stern and work toward the bow. This is important as you overlap peices (step 4).
2) You need to put it on in sections - not one long stripe. This is due to the change in contours of the hull.
3) Strip back 3' to 4' of backing at a time and try to carefully align as far out as possible to help make straight lines.
4) As you get to a change in countour, make a nice straight cut. I used a small spackle knife flat against the hull and then a very sharp razor to cut the stripping.
5) Overlap the next peice by 1/2"

I think I had 3 or 4 sections per side.

Good luck
John

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
don't forget to spray the hull with some sort of soak or application (designed for decals) before applying the stiping. This is so you can move it around and position it. Then use a squeegee or something soft to apply and remove the water. Once set, it will be steadfast.

Dieler

Reaction score
Anyone remove the stripe and leave off? Would love to see pics if so. Thinking it may look pretty clean overall.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Dieler said:
Anyone remove the stripe and leave off? Would love to see pics if so. Thinking it may look pretty clean overall.

I was fine with leaving the stripe off. My wife and I pulled into Robinhood Marina her in Mainefor lunch and there were other Grady's there. She said I like the stripe. So we are putting a new one on. Some members have pictures without the stripe.