Removing aux tank on 1999 268 islander

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keep in mind that 72 gallon compartment is isolated from the bilge (won't drain) to prevent fuel from leaning into the bilge.

Not following...

Where does the compartment drain? I thought Grady recommends spraying water into those deck hatches to wash off the tanks. If they don’t go to the bilge, where do they flow?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nope. Talk to GW. There is a glassed in hose that bypasses the fuel compartment. If your fuel tank leaks you don't want fuel in the bilge where you can blow up the boat.

I have read the owners manual where GW recommends washing the tanks but they don't mention where the water goes (it has to evaporate). There may be a plug to drain the compartment but I have never found it and it should remain closed.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wish this post was up before I just cleanly sealed all my hatches last week.

I do know that water ran into my bilge and out the drain plug after I sprayed it. What I don’t know if each of the compartments are separated on my 228 (main tank vs water tank vs Aux tank) so maybe the water tank one drained to bilge.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wish this post was up before I just cleanly sealed all my hatches last week.

I do know that water ran into my bilge and out the drain plug after I sprayed it. What I don’t know if each of the compartments are separated on my 228 (main tank vs water tank vs Aux tank) so maybe the water tank one drained to bilge.
I'll send a message to GW and try to get clarification on fuel compartment design. From everything I have read and observed on my hull the fuel compartment does not drain into the bilge. When I inspected my tanks and repaired my deck hatch the boat was on the trailer with enough pitch to drain the bilge. I still had some water that I pumped out - maybe a gallon from main and aux compartments - that I checked to see if I had a leaking tank (I did not).

I sent EFX a message to ask him about his tank removal (photo below) to see if he can verify a few things.
Is the compartment sealed off from the bilge?
is there a capped off drain plug or hose coming out of the compartment?
Is there a glassed in hose from the forward bilge thru the compartment that connects to the aft bilge?

Under tank 268.jpg
From EFX's photo it appears YES its sealed, NO drain and NO passthru forward/aft. Let's see if he can verify.

Also note that that compartment has a "floor" with a void underneath. Passthru from forward bilge to aft bilge is probably under there.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's my main tank hole. You can see the drain into the bilge. The pvc pipe to the left of it is the drain for the auxiliary tank hole. This is on my '04 228. Guess Grady has since changed their thinking about putting drains in the fuel tank compartments.

20190831_133633.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here's my main tank hole. You can see the drain into the bilge. The pvc pipe to the left of it is the drain for the auxiliary tank hole. This is on my '04 228.
Are those hoses capped off on the other side of the bulkhead? Or does it drain into the aft bilge?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's the outlets that drain into the bilge. Hard to see auxiliary, but they are side by side.

Screenshot_20201130-081950_Gallery.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I assume your aux and is forward...

That is exactly what I would expect to see: Aux compartment drain passes thru main fuel compartment and main fuel compartment with a separate drain.

What is missing is that I would expect those drains blocked during normal use and only used to drain the compartment and re-sealed.

I'm waiting on a response from GW.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Correct. Auxiliary is forward. I was the first one to pull my tanks on this boat and there was no sign of a plug of any sort for either drain.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
EFX, quick question... did you use the sawzall on the tank? I've used one on aluminum plenty of times and don't recall it ever making a spark... but on a fuel tank full of gas fumes, I don't think I'd tank that chance. Obviously you didn't blow up, so that's good!!! I guess I'm just wondering if aluminum will NEVER make a spark with a saw? Plus, sometimes the motors inside power tools make sparks, as well. Just wondering outloud as that's something I've been too worried to try!

Gas tank coffin "sealed"... for what it's worth, my '82 has the same setup as KY's (direct drain, plus a tube running from the cabin bilge). The direct drain is so close to the floor, I'm not sure how well you get a typical rubber plug in there. But again, that's an '82.

BUT... many, MANY boats (stern drives and outboard) have the fuel tank located IN the bilge. Including brand new boats. I can understand the thought process behind why NOT to do that, but it seems there is no ABYC/USCG/whatever to seal the coffin. I suppose a certain manufacturer could CHOOSE to do this, though? There is, however, a requirement for an anti-siphon valve to prevent a hose leak from flooding the bilge (or the fuel line must be run such that it never drops below the top of the tank). Obviously that doesn't tank in account a tank leak.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
EFX, quick question... did you use the sawzall on the tank? I've used one on aluminum plenty of times and don't recall it ever making a spark... but on a fuel tank full of gas fumes, I don't think I'd tank that chance. Obviously you didn't blow up, so that's good!!! I guess I'm just wondering if aluminum will NEVER make a spark with a saw? Plus, sometimes the motors inside power tools make sparks, as well. Just wondering outloud as that's something I've been too worried to try!

Gas tank coffin "sealed"... for what it's worth, my '82 has the same setup as KY's (direct drain, plus a tube running from the cabin bilge). The direct drain is so close to the floor, I'm not sure how well you get a typical rubber plug in there. But again, that's an '82.

BUT... many, MANY boats (stern drives and outboard) have the fuel tank located IN the bilge. Including brand new boats. I can understand the thought process behind why NOT to do that, but it seems there is no ABYC/USCG/whatever to seal the coffin. I suppose a certain manufacturer could CHOOSE to do this, though? There is, however, a requirement for an anti-siphon valve to prevent a hose leak from flooding the bilge (or the fuel line must be run such that it never drops below the top of the tank). Obviously that doesn't tank in account a tank leak.

Regarding the sawzall. I used the sawzall to cut the flange of the deck and also to go through the white starboard chocks that held the tank down. The chocks are screwed into the bulkheads and were stripped entirely. I cut through and pulled the tank with a 2x4 as a lever. It was rough. The tank was in good shape on all sides and has life left. It’s now a spare tank used on my ranchito for the trucks.
Regarding sparks and fumes, I hand pumped the tank dry and then filled it partially with water. It breathed dry for about a week. I then wetted it before I started cutting, also I open the transom door to let any fumes out. A stiff breeze is also helpful.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Regarding sparks and fumes, I hand pumped the tank dry and then filled it partially with water. It breathed dry for about a week. I then wetted it before I started cutting, also I open the transom door to let any fumes out. A stiff breeze is also helpful.
Makes sense - thank you. That's kind of what I've had bouncing around in my head, as far as a "procedure" goes, should the time come to remove my tank.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
120 gal is a pretty manageable amount of fuel. I have a Marlin would very seldom use more than 70-80 gallons in a day.

seasick

Reaction score
Regarding the sawzall. I used the sawzall to cut the flange of the deck and also to go through the white starboard chocks that held the tank down. The chocks are screwed into the bulkheads and were stripped entirely. I cut through and pulled the tank with a 2x4 as a lever. It was rough. The tank was in good shape on all sides and has life left. It’s now a spare tank used on my ranchito for the trucks.
You can rinse the tank all you want but it will still have vapors. I know this from past experience when a mechanic tried to solder a pin hole leak on a gas tank that just came back from the tank repair business (in olden days when tanks and radiators were repairable). The tank had been filed with water when repaired and then drained. Well the tank blew up and landed a half a block away. Fortunately the mechanic was not seriously hurt. The tank on the other hand was a different story:)

The best protection is a blower arrangement that exhausts the vapors out of the tank. Something like a bilge blower ( ignition protected). Optionally
If the tank is completely full of water, all the vapors will be forced out.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ok, so here are some disgusting photos of the front tank compartment, middle tank compartment and the bilge. Please note this boat was a two stroker and the oil fill and tanks spilled all over the place. Over twenty years the bilge water evaporated and left a horrible oil residue.

Here are my findings regarding the drain pipes. Front tank compartment looks to have two pipes that travel through the bulkhead into the second tank compartment. Then they travel under the flat glassed plywood and travel aft into the bilge. I cannot tell if they open in the tank compartments. I don’t think they do, but I filled that tanks compartment with water trying to clean it and it drained almost completely . I’ll fill each compartment at a time and see where water flows so I can get this in my head. Photos below from bow to stern. Zoom in and you can see the pvc ( and sludge). Top photo has the main tank 125 gallons. Last photo is the bilge.

Attachments

• DE97613A-4AB6-4ABA-9BED-611B8F68E473.jpeg
    DE97613A-4AB6-4ABA-9BED-611B8F68E473.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • ED4C093D-D6AB-47D7-B86E-DCAC3197D1E6.jpeg
    ED4C093D-D6AB-47D7-B86E-DCAC3197D1E6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 49660042-6889-4AFD-BB50-355B8C96D69E.jpeg
    49660042-6889-4AFD-BB50-355B8C96D69E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 86701CFF-A02A-4654-8A60-6AD8D85780BA.jpeg
    86701CFF-A02A-4654-8A60-6AD8D85780BA.jpeg
    761.8 KB · Views: 13

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Super Clean purple cleaner or Roll-Off should clean that up but wear a mask.

When you filled the forward compartment (main fuel tank) I assumed it did not go into the middle compartment (aux tank) and flowed to the aft bilge. Can you confirm this?

When you filled the the middle compartment (aux tank) I assumed it did not go into the forward compartment (main fuel tank) and flowed to the aft bilge. Can you confirm this?

I did a test on my boat this week. I filled the forward bilge with water and it did not drain to the aft bilge. Apparently they are not connected.

I have not heard anything back from Grady White. I'll try them again.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You may have a clog in the tube that runs from the forward bilge.
Agreed. I'm still trying to confirm there is a tube! I pulled the step for a better look but there is a glassed in shelf that goes to the bulkhead. Shower sump sits on top. There is a void underneath but no way to see in there. I'll get my camera in there later today. I have questions out to GW too.