Removing bad fuel from Marlin

downtown

Reaction score
One of my fuel tanks has old fuel in it that I want to remove. Any ideas?

no problem

Reaction score
if your boat has the electric primers made by walbro mounted below decks you can use them to pump out old fuel. they are rated for continuous duty. i circulated old fuel out of one tank into the other, through the filters several times and was able to remove all the water and tank sludge by draining the separators. after many cycles i removed about a gallon of water and what looked like tar. i was able to save 100 gallons of gas but i suppose i paid for it in time.

grady23

Reaction score
Get a 75-100 GPH fuel pump and rig hoses and be sure all electrical connections are SEALED! I removed the fuel sender to allow me to get the hose all the way to the bottom and in the corners. I used a 3/8 hose and ran it thru a 3/4 inch piece of CPVC for the section that I put in the tank. That way I cold control what direction the hose was pointing.
Don't waste your time trying to salvage the fuel since it's likely lost anywhere up to 7 points on it's octane rating. Trying to use the old fuel will damage or destroy your engines. Don't think that by adding fresh fuel and mixing it that it will help --- it doesn't. Try to find someone that owns a large building that heats with waste fuels. These guys use a mix of gasoline and fuel oil to heat large building. They may be willing to take the old stuff for free. I my area, the fuel cleaning company wanted $2.75/gal just to dispose of it.
I guess I don't need to remind you of being VERY carful about spillage and fumes collecting in the bilge. Grady's don't have bilge blower so fumes can collect inside the boat. Be sure to open the cabin hatch and windows. DO NOT use any electic or cordless drills while doing this -- SPARKS from the motors can be a problem!

Grady678

Reaction score
downtown said:
One of my fuel tanks has old fuel in it that I want to remove. Any ideas?

For a service center......this is not costly at all as the drain plug on the aft tank is very easy to reach. Not sure about the forward tank. It's the disposal that is the problem for doing it yourself. My dealer drained 30 gallons for $75. Dealing with that much fuel in an enclosed space seems worth outsourcing this one.