Removing bracket- Torque settings for re-install?

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey All,

I got water in my bracket last year and want to reseal the bracket to the transom with fresh sealant since the boat is now 22 years old. The water likely came from the inspection plate up top but, might as well do the whole job since the boat is out of the water atm. Anyone know the torque value for the nuts when I reinstall? Also, is there a place to source larger washers? Mine came with 2" washers from the factory and Id like to replace with 3" or even better 4" to better distribute the load.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If there is a torque #, I don't know it. Truthfully, even if I did, I wouldn't even think twice about not torqueing them. Crank them down and call it a day. If you've done at least "some" wrenching in your days then you probably have a pretty good idea of what it should feel like for large bolts like that. You can tell "by feel".

Instead of looking around for larger fender washers, get some Al or SS flat stock from a local metal shop or Mcmaster Carr (maybe a hardware store). 1/4" would be good. You can cut a piece to span all the way across from bolt to bolt.

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I hear ya, thanks. After I posted, I looked through a few more threads and I found a link for custom aluminum pieces. You think 1/4inch thick would suffice? I could cut into 4x4 squares.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, 1/4" will be just fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your square idea. But if you use the flat stock, it spreads the load out over an even larger area. Use 3" flat stock if you prefer. It's relatively inexpensive at MC. If you're OK with the added $, SS in 1/4" is stronger than Al... but Al is totally fine. If you want something REALLY strong - use 2" Al angle iron instead of flat stock.

Al is much easier to cut and, especially, drill your holes in.

For sealant, don't use anything stronger than 3M4200. LifeSeal or LifeCaulk would be my "go to", though.

Reactions: Thor's Outlaw