Removing Diesel Soot from Hull

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, that'll work. Just be gentle as Soft Scrub is somewhat abrasive and can dull a shiny gelcoat. I'm not sure if you regularly wax your boat, but the more often you wax (and use a high quality wax like Collinite 885), the easier it is to remove with regular cleaning products (sometimes just water if you get to it quick enough). FYI, if you want, try "Roll Off"...

Reactions: Viking88rd

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use StarBrite Deck Cleaner. Just brush it on, wait a few minutes for the foam to lift the soot off the surface, brush again and rinse off.

My boat is kept in a dry stack that uses a poorly serviced diesel-powered forklift in an enclosed shed. If I don't use the boat regularly it gets coated with soot. You can actually sweep it into a pile on the deck with a broom. But it gets into tiny pores in the gelcoat where it can only be removed by abrasive scrubbing or by using the StarBrite product.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/non-skid-deck-cleaner-with-ptef

HMBJack

Reaction score
I tried "Roll Off" and I was unimpressed (price and performance wise). I wax every 6 months so I have a good coat on it at all times. Soft Scrub, lots of water and a couple swipes with my soft brush takes the soot off quick. Takes just a few minutes...

Lastly - For What It's Worth - I have used Collinite 885 for years. It is very very good but I'm now loving a sealant , not a wax. I use Jescar Power Lock Plus Sealant (no affiliation). The Jescar is 2X easier to apply and lasts 2X longer (because it is a polymer, not an organic product). Just sharing notes on this - again - no affiliation!

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is a constant tradeoff. Diesel soot bonds to the wax. Orpine strips the wax. RollOff probably isn't any better. On my tournament boats we don't wash anymore. Wax'ed up in the spring and fresh water rinsed as we are coming in to the dock throughout the season. Transom cleaned with RollOff.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same here. Collinite clean and wax in spring and just wash the hull with water. Seems to work best and hull looks fine until next spring.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I tried "Roll Off" and I was unimpressed (price and performance wise). I wax every 6 months so I have a good coat on it at all times. Soft Scrub, lots of water and a couple swipes with my soft brush takes the soot off quick. Takes just a few minutes...

Lastly - For What It's Worth - I have used Collinite 885 for years. It is very very good but I'm now loving a sealant , not a wax. I use Jescar Power Lock Plus Sealant (no affiliation). The Jescar is 2X easier to apply and lasts 2X longer (because it is a polymer, not an organic product). Just sharing notes on this - again - no affiliation!
I know that Roll Off works well from personal experience - but if the soot is on there for too long then you have to get more aggressive. Just remember that the Soft Scrub is taking the wax off... which makes the soot "stick" better from then on out... again requiring the harsher product.

I really like 885, but ANYTHING is easier to apply than that! Well, the application is easy... it's the taking it off part that you have to be careful and not let it dry TOO long!

Reactions: HMBJack

georgemjr

Reaction score
Here is a better idea: keep it from getting on the hull in the first place. I placed a piece of marine hose in the thru-hull that sticks out an inch from the side of the boat. It helps to route the exhaust water clear of the hull and prevents most of the soot from contacting and therefore sticking to the hull. It is more helpful on the hook than when running. I have much less of a cleanup job since doing this. In addition, I added a little eisenglass (2 inch by a little over a foot) under the center part of the rubrail so that it sticks out the bottom an inch, directly below the channel which allows water to drain off the side of the boat at the mid-ship (all the water from the front of the boat that exits through the channel just forward of the gas caps). that small piece of eisenglass directs the water to fall off the boat rather than run down the side which then prevents the dark vertical streak that forms on the hull there.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another way is to reduce the exhaust soot by gradually applying the throttle. Let the turbo spool up before hitting the throttle hard.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Getting boat cermaic coated and having this product applied to just the section where the exhaust soot build up happens on port side. Hopefully it works the way it's supposed to.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
On all the sporty's we just use Dawn and a soft brush. Scrub the transom at the end of each day of running.