Removing diesel soot

fathergoose

Reaction score
I have 2009 228 that I keep in a "high and dry" facility. I am getting a large amount of soot on the boat from the fork lifts. This stuff is terrible, it gets everywhere and as soon as you step on the boat you track it wherever you walk. I'm having the marina move me to the rear of the shed where there is much less exposure to the fork lifts. However the soot has left stains that I haven't been able to remove. I've tried various types of detergents, soft scrub and degreasers with no luck. I have also tried hull cleaner which removed some but not all. The only thing that I can think of now is to compound and wax it. I going to have to wax it anyway since I'm the detergents have removed all of the wax, but I don't want to wax over the stains. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've found Roll Off is great at removing diesel soot. However, if you've hit the areas really hard with a whole bunch of other stuff already, it might be a waste of money to buy it.

fathergoose

Reaction score
I've found Roll Off is great at removing diesel soot. However, if you've hit the areas really hard with a whole bunch of other stuff already, it might be a waste of money to buy it.
Thanks. I'm familiar with Roll Off. Where can you get it?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
RO is one of those cleaners that's been around for a long, long time. But you probably won't find it at Home Depot or Walmart. I work in the industry so I buy it from the store I work at. I would think any decent marine store can get for you... and like most things nowadays, probably Amazon! ;)

If it doesn't work (because the soot has been on there a really long time, now), it's a good cleaner to have around. Google it and read up on it, if you want.

If need be, spray it on and let it set for few minutes - keep misting if you're in the sun.

I might also try On & Off by MaryKate. Unless that's the hull cleaner you already tried.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We must rack at the same place! After soap and water on the smooth stuff, cleaner wax has always worked for me. As for non-skid, star brite or west marine deck wash always seems to cut it well. The trick with using it is to create a good lather and let it soak for 3+ minutes, scrub a little more, then rinse.

cap

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
are you sure it is diesel? all the forklifts here are propane.
We had the same type of problem... turned out to be tire rubber. The marina changed to white tires and cured the problem.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
100% for sure soot. Owner wont convert to propane.