Removing enclosure

bayson

Reaction score
I am having my enclosure replaced. Finally got the snaps off but the zippers are frozen solid. They won't budge. I believe my used '05 Gulfstream enclosure has never been unzipped or unsnapped. The enclosure needs to be removed in sections. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am assuming you want to use the old enclosure for a pattern although that isn't always the best choice. You should be able to Dremel tool te zipper slide to get it off and open the zipper up. If the zippers are metal you just might need to use a sissor.

bayson

Reaction score
I would like to use the old enclosure for the pattern. Is there a problem doing this? Dremel might work.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It depends on what changes, if any, you want to make. If you want everything the same it's fine. But if you want maybe a one piece front or use Makrolon polycarbonate, move a zipper corner, eliminate a zipper, etc. your canvas guy may want to re-pattern. The mid-ship and aft part is usually not a problem.

New Enclosure.jpg

bayson

Reaction score
The Dremel did the trick. I wonder has anyone replaced the front and side enclosure with something more permanent?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mine was done with Makrolon polycarbonate (above photo). Acrylic is nice too but can't be sewn - has to be taped/glued.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Get a spray bottle and mix some white vinegar with water and spray periodically. Then rinse with water. Counteracts the salt effect.