Removing fish hook from your finger

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Stuck myself badly today for the 1st time ever. Went entirely through my middle finger. Check out the video on you tube. The technique is actually what the ER used and I could have done it offshore and saved my day and expense. I would advise numbing with ice 1st.
IMG_20230806_104543_01.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Never had one go in far enough to do this, but my grandfather used to tell me: push it all the way through till the barb pokes out, cut off the barb, then push it back out the way it came in. Is that what they did?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ouch! Not quite as easy to push the circle hooks thru.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Never had one go in far enough to do this, but my grandfather used to tell me: push it all the way through till the barb pokes out, cut off the barb, then push it back out the way it came in. Is that what they did?
Nope. That's what I had anticipated, but the method was more like tooth extraction with a string. The important part to understand and execute is to disengage the barb while extracting.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The difference for my situation is that I needed someone to securely hold my finger so it didn't try to go with the hook when pulling. That would have been ugly. Also in this video the guy should have placed his finger further up the hook to keep the barb less engaged for the entire duration of the extraction. Had his assistant not pulled parallel to his hand, things might not have gone as well.