REMOVING GAS GENERATOR FROM MARLIN

DMYERS

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH REMOVING THE GAS GENERATOR FROM 05 MARLIN??

seasick

Reaction score
Messaging in all capital letters is perceived as shouting on the forums:)
I don't know what specific details you want to know but a simple answer is that it is a lot easier to remove a genset than to add one.

DMYERS

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My apologies. This is the first time I have ever participated on a message board, so thanks for the heads up and it wont happen again!
Anyway..... Did anyone remove one of these generators and was it in pieces or with some block and tackle set up to hoist it out?

Goalline

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
DMeyers - I haven't done it on my marlin but I plan to this offseason.. ironically thinking the same on the hoist out as I believe its a couple hundred pounds.. also wondering how its going to be access the fuel tank next to it.. doesnt look like a fun job.. if i get into it sooner i'll keep you posted and if anyone has had experience, could definitely use some tips/tricks on this one, Thanks

DMYERS

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
We won't be getting to the Gen removal until next season. Are you replacing or just taking it out?
I definitely would like to know how it goes for you!!
In the meantime, I purchased Honda 2200 to use on overnight offshore, but haven't used this yet either.
Good luck and keep me posted on how things go!!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Honda is a great, reliable and quiet choice for a portable generator. Mine supplies enough power for all boat accessories. I do not have AC

Goalline

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm believe at this point I'm just taking it out.. it hasn't run in a few years and I don't really have a need I can't do without on short trips. My yahamas actually sit a bit lower into the water than I would like and when I dont have fresh water and less fuel they come up a bit. I figured there is no point in hauling around the extra 300 pounds any longer... all the fittings, raw water lines, exhaust lines, are corroded or rusted, the diesel tank looks like hell. I thought about a repair but I've settled into easier to get out. problem I see immediately is lifting it out. dont see any issues disconnecting everything, fairly straight forward.. just managing that much weight out of the hole and then over the side.. i'm praying someone comes along with a good idea I havent thought of yet

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
One thing to consider is dismantling it in place. Not too hard to remove pieces, such as the head, etc. until it is light enough for a couple people to wiggle it out via ramps etc.

DMYERS

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yeah..I guess I could start dismantling it a little at a time until it get small enough to muscle out. Good idea!
Getting rid of that extra weight should be helpful on fuel burn I guess!

Reactions: wspitler

Sailfish

Reaction score
Build, or rent, an a frame with a chain hoist

Goalline

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
UPDATE- my generator removal is underway on my 03 Marlin. I have the Fischer panda all free except I ran into an issue I can not figure out. There are 2 back bolts that hold it and they are impossible to get at it. Dismantling it was nothing. But now I am stuck if anyone has seen this!!! Thanks in advance.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
UPDATE- my generator removal is underway on my 03 Marlin. I have the Fischer panda all free except I ran into an issue I can not figure out. There are 2 back bolts that hold it and they are impossible to get at it. Dismantling it was nothing. But now I am stuck if anyone has seen this!!! Thanks in advance.
DEWALT Accessory Socket Set, 15-Piece (DWMT73807) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TI74HZ...abc_YMXQZP0X7DGG5YVJDFMG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MXiiXM Flexible Drill Bit Extension and Right Angle Drill Attachment Kit, Impact Grade Sockets Adapter Driver Extension Set, 3Pcs 1/4 3/8 1/2" Hex Shank Drill Nut Driver Screwdriver Bit (Drill Bit Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095SN6GV...abc_1DM3Y3XSY0M0MMRABH36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Goalline

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
DEWALT Accessory Socket Set, 15-Piece (DWMT73807) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TI74HZ...abc_YMXQZP0X7DGG5YVJDFMG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MXiiXM Flexible Drill Bit Extension and Right Angle Drill Attachment Kit, Impact Grade Sockets Adapter Driver Extension Set, 3Pcs 1/4 3/8 1/2" Hex Shank Drill Nut Driver Screwdriver Bit (Drill Bit Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095SN6GV...abc_1DM3Y3XSY0M0MMRABH36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the replay. I should have been more clear. I can get to the nuts but the head of the bolt is under the floor the generator sits and there is no access to keep the bolt from spinning. I’m thinking I’ll have to use a nut splitter and then just let the bolt fall into bildge. I was hoping someone might have a trick or confirm they’ve run into this. Thanks!

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks for the replay. I should have been more clear. I can get to the nuts but the head of the bolt is under the floor the generator sits and there is no access to keep the bolt from spinning. I’m thinking I’ll have to use a nut splitter and then just let the bolt fall into bildge. I was hoping someone might have a trick or confirm they’ve run into this. Thanks!
Another thought from your clarification - use a Dremel or similar tool to cut a flathead notch into the bolt bottom. Then you can keep the bolt from spinning while accessing the nut. I am picturing your bolts upward with the nuts topside from your description. Caution - dremel may cause some sparks, so maybe not the best play.