Removing Leaning Post -263 Chase

Colliw11

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I want to re-core the flooring on my 263 chase, but need to remove the leaning post to make the floor more mobile and able to be flipped. I unscrewed all of the exterior screws and broke the seal on the caulk, but it wont budge. Is it bonded somehow to the floor on the inside of the leaning post? Any adivce will be helpful.

Thanks

Wade

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rocking it back and forth doesn't start to loosen it up? You should have a lot of leverage to help. I've never removed one, but I find it very hard to believe that there is any type of mechanical fastener used from underneath that wouldn't be accessible - that wouldn't make sense.

Colliw11

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I think they may have used like 5200 or something on the inside seam, which after 25 years is Rock solid.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try this - have someone push firmly on it, like they're trying to lean it over, while you tap a large putty knife underneath it. You could try this by yourself, too. Also... could heat up the knife nice and hot, first.

Colliw11

Reaction score
Model
Chase
So i finally got up the leaning post. It was bonded on the inside of the post between the raise in the floor and fiberglass. Heated it up with a heat gun and slowly pryed it away until it broke free. Will need to do a fair amount of clean before it goes back on, but its off. Now for the hard part of doing the recore. I'll try and upload some pictures when i get a chance.