Removing lower unit on 95 200 hp. Yamy ?

fishone

Reaction score
I want to remove the lower unit on my engine. besides removing all the bolts, are there any other details that I may not be aware of? someone told me that I may have to remove a shift lever? I just want to slide the unit off so I can send it out to be refurbished while my boat is tucked away for the winter. thanks for any input.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lower Unit Removal

Nah, don't remove the shift lever, don't need to. But you do need to put the engine in gear before you detach the lower unit. Otherwise when you try to put it back together, the splines may not align with the upper engine. If you forget to put it in gear, it's not the end of the world. But you'll just have to keep taking the lower unit out to turn the shaft until it lines up. It's pretty hard to screw up the job - if it's not aligned when you push the lower unit up, it just won't go in all the way. 15 mins till it's laying on your garage floor.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
The hidden bolt under the trim tab always gets people

also the key way will be rusted onto the shaft unless they used good grease last time

also replace the whole housing not just impeller

and when i do impellers i do t-stats and poppet valves always

it covers my but for a call back

no call backs in 3 years yet

gw204

Reaction score
Look for a small diameter tube sticking out of the top of the lower unit. If you have it, you have to snip off one the zip ties and disconnect it. It's for the speedo pickup.

At least that how's my '00 200s are...

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Dont forget to do this with the engine tilted up enough to slide the shaft completely out. Learned this the hard way the first time i pulled the lower unit, no problems, just a hassle.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also, when you put the lower unit back on make sure to grease the bolts so you'll be able to get it off next time.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Usually how long do replace the water pump, thermostas and poppet valve on the Yamaha motor?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I learned the hard way about the black rubber block that is in lower unit. Normally it does not come out but mine fell out during a rebuild and caused the exhaust to port from the lower unit in odd places. The baffle is not shown on the Yamaha parts list and will cause you a crap load of grief to figure out what is wrong if it goes missing. Make sure you identify this part when the lower unit comes out and take it out before you send it out. It is in the lower unit in the exhaust port.

fishone

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the last time the lower unit came off was 3 years ago by a outboard guy I know. I'm removing the unit to have a new skeg welded on and then have it repainted . after its done, I'll change the entire impeller housing. thanks for all the help

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For Fishermanaddict

Poppet valve is a 15 or 20 min job. It's not a complicated assembly. It's just that it's in a confined space and that makes is a bit tough, but not impossible. And the new poppet assembly that comes from Yami has been re-designed, so it will look a little different. I seem to remember that it was a little easier to do the job using 1/4" drive sockets than 3/8" because of space considerations. A buddy pushing on the housing while you turn the bolts helps alot, too. Use a dab of grease on the threads. Thermostats are right on top of the engine and easy to get to. Five mins per cylinder bank ought to do it.