**Removing sealer like Poli Glow

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I need y’all’s help! I’m working on removing what I believe is some type of sealant/sealer that a previous owner applied. I’ve come to understand that it may be Poli Glow. I honestly don’t know and don’t have a way to find out. I was going to buy a bottle of their brand remover and see if that worked. My bot detailer has said that the gel coat on a worn off part does shine nicely so I need to be careful to not damage the hull. I included some picture but I’m in need of y’all’s expertise. I want to make my 23 old girl shine again.

Attachments

• 8C140D86-F79F-4DE6-AC63-CCB21AC38D97.jpeg
    8C140D86-F79F-4DE6-AC63-CCB21AC38D97.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I tried to upload a couple other photos but it says they are too large.

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
He definitely tried a cutting compound but bc it becomes gummy when coming off... he didn’t think that was the way to go.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
He definitely tried a cutting compound but bc it becomes gummy when coming off... he didn’t think that was the way to go.
PoliStrip is most probably the best option then. Even if it isn’t PoliGlow there is a good chance it will remove whatever it is.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought a motorhome once that had that stuff on it and I tried several different agents like Zep floor stripper and such. I found that Polistrip worked the the best. Mix it stronger than they say or you will be there a long time. I mixed it 50/50 or stronger. Wear gloves. Keep a garden hose handy and rinse, rinse, rinse. Do a small section at a time so you can keep it wet. It will reset if left to dry before it gets rinsed off, so try to do it in the shade. You will get a white milky run-off.

Reactions: mac83

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We just went through this with the Islander we bought last fall. It was a mess with Poliglow, runs everywhere and all. Used commercial grade floor stripper, think is was the Zep mixed 50/50 with a degreaser like Super Clean by Castrol.. Minimal scrubbing with a brush and power wash off. Had to let the boat dry in-between just to be able to see the missed spots. Tried the Polistrip and the Zep floor stripper/Super Clean from Home Depot worked better, not using that first just loaded up the paper and made a gummy mess with anything else.

After the boat was pretty dull. Wet sanded with 1000 then 1500, compound with buffer and polish. Looks much better now and no more peeling Poliglow! I am not very good with a buffer and I managed. Not as scary on a boat as it is a car. I used the Harbor Freight random orbital.

Last edited:
Reactions: mac83

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I bought a motorhome once that had that stuff on it and I tried several different agents like Zep floor stripper and such. I found that Polistrip worked the the best. Mix it stronger than they say or you will be there a long time. I mixed it 50/50 or stronger. Wear gloves. Keep a garden hose handy and rinse, rinse, rinse. Do a small section at a time so you can keep it wet. It will reset if left to dry before it gets rinsed off, so try to do it in the shade. You will get a white milky run-off.
Do you know if it will harm the trailer or driveway?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It won't harm them but while the milky rinse water is liquid, chase it away with the hose before it dries if you don't want white stains on the concrete. A pressure washer does get the dried residue off concrete. Be sure to rinse it off any glass too.