Removing Waterline Stains

JayT

Reaction score
After many years of salt water boating I am still looking for a non acid hull cleaner that works. I have used On-Off, toilet bowl cleaner, Barkeepers Friend and a couple of others. Has anyone used a non acid based product that works and does not require a lot of scrubbing? Overtons makes a non acid hull cleaner that has one review that says it does not work. Any other suggestions to help reduce gel coat degradation while getting the hull sparkling clean.

seasick

Reaction score
JayT said:
After many years of salt water boating I am still looking for a non acid hull cleaner that works. I have used On-Off, toilet bowl cleaner, Barkeepers Friend and a couple of others. Has anyone used a non acid based product that works and does not require a lot of scrubbing? Overtons makes a non acid hull cleaner that has one review that says it does not work. Any other suggestions to help reduce gel coat degradation while getting the hull sparkling clean.
If you have used on-off and scrubbed with Bar Keepers and the stains are still there, thay must be deep into the gel coat. You may need to do some fine wet-dry sanding as an experiment. If that works, you need to polishand wax well. If the gel coat is shot, the fix is more complicated.
I would also try rubbing compound (not polishing) first. Sometimes that works for me.

freddy063

Reaction score
on/off with a spray head on the bottle works on anything, and thats a acid. Just spray it on wait hose off, repeat if needed. Well works on anything I needed to clean.