Repainting Yamaha engine cowlings?

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would like to have my Yamaha 250HP cowlings on my 283 Release repainted. I have seen a few DIY examples on the internet but I am curious if therre are any places in the NJ/PA area to have them done professionally. I am thinking I could take them to an auto shop but thought I would see if anyone has experience with a shop int he NJ/PA region.

thanks
Bill

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The key to a good paint job is prep. I sanded mine down and primed it myself. I ordered the high end spray paint in cans with the intent of doing it myself. ( a man has got to know his limitations) I ended up taking it to a body shop near where I live and they sprayed the base and two coats of high quality clear for a very reasonable price. You should not have a problem getting good referrals in NJ for good marine painters but any reputable body shop can do it. I ordered my decals from discontinueddecals.com who produce high quality exact Yamaha replicas

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The key to a good paint job is prep. I sanded mine down and primed it myself. I ordered the high end spray paint in cans with the intent of doing it myself. ( a man has got to know his limitations) I ended up taking it to a body shop near where I live and they sprayed the base and two coats of high quality clear for a very reasonable price. You should not have a problem getting good referrals in NJ for good marine painters but any reputable body shop can do it. I ordered my decals from discontinueddecals.com who produce high quality exact Yamaha replicas
You can get in trouble on a DIY if you don't pay close attention to the details
1609522999739.png

• Haha
Reactions: PDX-Boats

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't put too much thought into this. It's a regular, run of the mill paint job - very simple for any decent autobody shop. Chances are, there's a place within 20 minutes of you. Stop by some local car dealerships and ask the service manager who he/she would recommend.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I question how they hold up. Anything I've repainted (auto or car) I have not been happy with after a few years.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Ask your local Yamaha dealer who they use for painting engines.