Repair on Small Holes & Crack Bonus Rant

langski93

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Adventure 208 that was well cared for by the first owner and I got it about 5 years ago. There are two old transducers and several miscellaneous wires on the transom, which I would like to remove then repair the transom. There is also a small crack at the base of the small cabinet door at the helm. If anyone knows a really good shop in NH that could do the work I would appreciate hearing. I am looking for someone who will clearly explain what they plan to do and why. I am not looking for any posers or pretenders. I am tired of having so called carpenters, mechanics or other service people do mediocre work. I have strong cabinet and furniture skills as well as being a decent carpenter. Recently, I had trim and window work done at home, as I am too old to be climbing 3 stories, and the whole time, I felt my questions were not being addressed and this guy was going to do things his way. He came highly recommended by a local hardware store, and I took them at their word. Long story short, after closer inspection I was very dissatisfied with his work which took me a day to correct and complete. I don't want that happening with the boat. Alternaltively, if anyone could refer me to a good source of information as to how to do it myself, I might just take it on.

Finally, for you NH area boaters, I use a certified Yamaha mechanic who is the owner of Dave's Motorboat Shop, in Gilford NH. This guy is old school and great. Every year he goes through the boat and advises me what he thinks I should be doing. He educates me, we discuss, and I make the decisions. He has kept me from replacing batteries I have not needed to (or replacing when I did), kept the water pump pumping, the gas filtered etc etc. I give him all my business and I don't nickel and dime. I wish he did windows and house trim.

Thanks

Langski

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Repairing the transom holes is not that difficult. I used Loctite marine epoxy, local lowes had it. I drilled the existing holes oversized, mixed the epoxy and used a syringe to fill the holes. Dries in 24hrs. I had to repeat application so that after sanding it was flush with the gel coat. Also the epoxy is a off white and is a close match to original color.

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks Pay2Play. I will try that mix on one of the small holes. When you drilled it out, I take it you went just wider and not deeper?
langski93

richie rich

Reaction score
langski93 said:
Thanks Pay2Play. I will try that mix on one of the small holes. When you drilled it out, I take it you went just wider and not deeper?
langski93
A little of both...if you can judge the depth...but the epoxy/syringe method is the best.....not caulks .....if the holes get big enough, use wooden dowels plugged in ovesized holes and epoxy.....any name brand marine epoxy will work just fine......but follow the mix instructions to the fullest.