Repair or replace transom?

MJF

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi all, I have a 1985 Tournament with a 140hp Suzuki. The transom cracked where the engine bolt goes through. Any idea if I can repair? Or will I need to replace the whole transom? Purchased in 2018. Has been great until now. May just sell outboard and junk it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There really isn't a "replace" - it's all "repair". For it to crack like that, I suspect the water has been seeping into the transom for a long time... well before 2018. It CAN be repaired - and it WILL be time consuming - whether it's something you can do or you hire someone... that's up to you and your comfort level. Materials aren't too bad - it's the labor. Most likely this isn't a spot repair - it will be the entire wood in the transom.

Reactions: Meanwhile

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Step 1 is getting the engine off. Agree with Dennis, that’s a pretty good crack there. I would not have confidence on the water as is needless to say. This site has a section on transom repairs and also search this forum for some research of what others have done. It’s doable although you may have better luck finding another hull to use that engine.

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Meh - I would bolt a piece of plywood on the inside of the transom, bolt the motor through to that, fill the crack with thickened epoxy, and keep my eye on it.

To do it "right" would mean a complete transom repair, but who knows how much rot there is.

shore it up and keep your eye out for a new hull maybe?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I would replace the transom core from the outside and then repair the crack in the skin on the inside. That is a really odd crack you have there! Usually, the washers will start to appear like they are pushing in as the core rots--not the case here.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Actually, it looks like this issue was there for quite a while. Someone had put silicone over the crack as a band aid.

I would NOT recommend doing a quick fix... the last thing you want is to be offshore (or anywhere) and have the engine fall off and possibly take the transom with it while you're out on the water.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That is a really odd crack you have there! Usually, the washers will start to appear like they are pushing in as the core rots--not the case here.
They washers probably did do just that... until it cracked. This is a case of neglect - this didn't happen over night - it started many years ago.

MJF, I feel for you. Yes, it's something that you should have taken notice of (and/or the previous owner should have mentioned with good ethics in mind... or if a survey was done it would have been found), but I know it sucks to buy a boat and then find out about this. Unfortunately, it's the nature of older boats.

MJF

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks everyone. As much as I'd like to tackle this, I think I am going to sell and get another boat. I trailer this and it's just too big. The lack of a good place to put a trolling motor also really cramps my style for fishing. I also have two soft spots on the deck. So ...

For sale: 2002 140hp Suzuki four-stroke with 449 hours. Recent service. Good compression. Runs great!

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
1988 Gulfstream owner who has restored 4 older Grady's and posted on this thread:

There are two types of older Grady owners, those who have replaced their transom and those who will. Replaced mine 3 years ago and money will spent.