Repair Rub Rail on 2004 GW 282 Sailfish

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is it the rubrail or the rubrail insert?

What type of rubrail (or insert)? There's different kinds out there and I can't see your rubrail from where I am.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

What type of rubrail (or insert)? There's different kinds out there and I can't see your rubrail from where I am

What type of rubrail (or insert)? There's different kinds out there and I can't see your rubrail from where I am.
DennisG01, Thank for your response.

It is the rubrail that came with my 2004 GW 282 Sailfish. It starts at the Stern on the Port side and goes around the Bow and ends in the Stern on the Starboard side.
I Twisting it away for the hull, half way up on the Starboard side, and I see about 5 thin screws ends spaced about 3" or 4" apart that went through the hull.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The rubrail has two parts. The rub rail that is screwed to the hull and the insert that fits inside it and covers the screws.
You can put the insert back with some soapy water and a rubber mallet.

This will explain rub rail installation.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
DennisG01, Thank for your response.

It is the rubrail that came with my 2004 GW 282 Sailfish. It starts at the Stern on the Port side and goes around the Bow and ends in the Stern on the Starboard side.
I Twisting it away for the hull, half way up on the Starboard side, and I see about 5 thin screws ends spaced about 3" or 4" apart that went through the hull.
Sorry, I'm only familiar with the kind that starts at the stern on the starboard side and finishes at the stern on the port side.

I am VERY familiar with all kinds of rubrails, but still don't know what kind you have. And, what does this mean (it's really hard to understand what you're saying): "I Twisting it away for the hull, half way up on the Starboard side, and I see about 5 thin screws ends spaced about 3" or 4" apart that went through the hull."

HOWEVER, if you have the kind of rubrail/insert that Skunk is talking about, then yes, just pound it back in. I've never used sopay water, but at the same time it can't hurt, either.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry, I'm only familiar with the kind that starts at the stern on the starboard side and finishes at the stern on the port side.

I am VERY familiar with all kinds of rubrails, but still don't know what kind you have. And, what does this mean (it's really hard to understand what you're saying): "I Twisting it away for the hull, half way up on the Starboard side, and I see about 5 thin screws ends spaced about 3" or 4" apart that went through the hull."

HOWEVER, if you have the kind of rubrail/insert that Skunk is talking about, then yes, just pound it back in. I've never used sopay water, but at the same time it can't hurt, either.

Thank you so much DennisG01 & Skunkboat for your response's.

The rubrail installation video Skunkboat sent makes it all very clear and I see what I have to do to repair it!

Thank you guys!

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The rubrail has two parts. The rub rail that is screwed to the hull and the insert that fits inside it and covers the screws.
You can put the insert back with some soapy water and a rubber mallet.

This will explain rub rail installation.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you so much DennisG01 & Skunkboat for your response's.

The rubrail installation video Skunkboat sent makes it all very clear and I see what I have to do to repair it!

Thank you guys!

Reactions: SkunkBoat