Repair Simrad AP11 or replace?

walt bowen

Reaction score
I have a simrad ap11 autopilot which I think has a bad power board in the junction unit (J3000X) apparently you have to buy the whole junction unit to the tune of around $850.00. This is a 2001 model and for this much to repair it I'm wondering if replacement wouldn't make more sense.....with poss. an ap24 or ap28 or possibly with a garmin unit. Any feed back or personal experience would be great.

Walt Bowen
01 263 chase
w/200 hpdi's

walt bowen

Reaction score
Good call megabytes, I checked w/jim at BOE and he said the pump would work with another simrad.....I'll check furthur as well, I'm also curious to find what differences function wise I might find w/my current ap11 vs say a ap24 or ap28.

Thanks,
Walt

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
According to what I have read, the new model has fishing patterns, not rudder feedback option, and a nicer interface. Check out the Simrad website for details. It lookes like a really nice unit. I also have the AP11. Right after my boat was rigged the AP16 was released. Now the AP24 is the compact unit. Amazingly the price has held pretty steady despite some nice advancements.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your going to spend $800+, I'd upgrade, since it is likely you might have more issues down the road, and you should be able to sue atleast use your current pump. If you can get a cheaper fix for maybe the $400 mentioned above, it is a tougher call. Personally, upgrading typically makes sense when your talking about expensive repairs to older technology that might not last long even after a repair. If you can swing the bill, the upgrade might make more sense, if your going to shell out more cash you might as well get something out of it with a similer unit with more features.

NO REGRETS

Reaction score
Re:

megabytes said:
According to what I have read, the new model has fishing patterns, not rudder feedback option, and a nicer interface. Check out the Simrad website for details. It lookes like a really nice unit. I also have the AP11. Right after my boat was rigged the AP16 was released. Now the AP24 is the compact unit. Amazingly the price has held pretty steady despite some nice advancements.

What pump did or do you have?? :hmm