Repairing leaky windows on GW Sailfish

tohotim

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm restoring an '84 Sailfish and have the normal age related issues of the front and side windows leaking -

Where can I find new moldings, windows, frames, etc. to do a good overhaul? Has anyone attemped this on their own and can you share pictures, suggestions on the best way to tackle??

Many thanks!

Tim

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tim, report back if you would and let us know how it turns out. I would love to recondition mine also, but not sure the cost. So far, they are not leaking. Just a bit difficult to slide.

Have been afraid to lube them as not sure what to use safely.

fishbust

Reaction score
VeroWing said:
I am currently getting ready to do the same on a '89 offshore model. I contacted this company from advice here, http://marineglassspecialties.com/?page_id=25 , and they told me they have all parts to redo our Grady windows.

Interesting. My starboard cabin window was broken by a previous owner and replaced with fixed glass as you cannot replace sliding window to still be sliding, which is causing a ventilation problem in cabin. Seems I need an entirely new window frame, glass and all.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
VeroWing said:
I am currently getting ready to do the same on a '89 offshore model. I contacted this company from advice here, http://marineglassspecialties.com/?page_id=25 , and they told me they have all parts to redo our Grady windows.

Interesting. My starboard cabin window was broken by a previous owner and replaced with fixed glass as you cannot replace sliding window to still be sliding, which is causing a ventilation problem in cabin. Seems I need an entirely new window frame, glass and all.

I am no expert, but it seems very odd to me that a sliding window assembly would be made where the glass cannot be replaced. Are you certain of that statement? Although my glass is fine on my sliding glass cabin windows, the soft parts are all cracking. Below is the response I received from Marine Specialties when I ask about rebuilding the sliding glass assemblys. He did not mention anything about glass not being able to be removed or replaced, but I guess it could be possible. After all, it is on a boat!

I have all that you need. Thanks George

Marine Glass Specialties,Inc.

George Rietheimer President

7801 Colley Rd. Odessa FL. 33556

Phone 813-926-3717

Fax 813-926-8938

E-Mail sales@marineglassspecialties.com

Web: marineglassspecialties.com

fishbust

Reaction score
Vero, I remember reading a thread about someone in the same situation and someone said they had to remove and cut the frame to split it and re weld it with new glass in place. Another saying they needed a whole new window, all of it.

I did a search a more than a couple times and I cannot find that thread again. Do you remember ever reading that thread?
Have tried starting a new thread about it but got no responses.

I have zero cross ventilation in the cabin without that window able to open, so I really would like to get this fixed over the winter.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
Vero, I remember reading a thread about someone in the same situation and someone said they had to remove and cut the frame to split it and re weld it with new glass in place. Another saying they needed a whole new window, all of it.

I did a search a more than a couple times and I cannot find that thread again. Do you remember ever reading that thread?
Have tried starting a new thread about it but got no responses.

I have zero cross ventilation in the cabin without that window able to open, so I really would like to get this fixed over the winter.

That's amazing, but I never doubt anything odd I find on some of these boats. I've never heard that before, but if I remember I'll call this Marine Specialty place and see if I can get some info. I went to their website and saw that they sell complete sliding glass assemblys. Seeing that I got their name and location here on this website, perhaps someone withmore knowledge will come forward and offer some info.

By the way, where are you out on Long Island? I used to have a 25 Grady out in Harts Cove, Moriches Bay. Also had a 22 Seafarer on LI Sound for a long time.

fishbust

Reaction score
Small world Vero. Harts cove is the east side of Moriches Bay, I am on the west side of the Bay. 8)

fishbust

Reaction score
VeroWing said:
fishbust said:

That's amazing, but I never doubt anything odd I find on some of these boats. I've never heard that before, but if I remember I'll call this Marine Specialty place and see if I can get some info. I went to their website and saw that they sell complete sliding glass assemblys. Seeing that I got their name and location here on this website, perhaps someone withmore knowledge will come forward and offer some info.

Vero, I found the thread. It wasn't on this site....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/7356-how-do-you-replace-grady-sliding-window.html

So I guess now I have to get out there and figure out how to get the entire frame off the boat with zero damage, try to see what is holding it in place.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
VeroWing said:
fishbust said:

Vero, I found the thread. It wasn't on this site....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/7356-how-do-you-replace-grady-sliding-window.html

So I guess now I have to get out there and figure out how to get the entire frame off the boat with zero damage, try to see what is holding it in place.

Fishbust, wow, that is just amazing! I wonder if I'll be able to replace the sliders and gaskets on cabin window while leaving glass in frame. Guess I better call Marine Specialty and get some info.

I guess you are pretty familiar with Moriches inlet! Very tricky at times! We used to run way out of there for Mako and tuna. Had some real nice catches. Best fluking I've ever seen just east of the inlet in 70ft +- water too. My best friend still runs a Boston Whaler out of Harts Cove Marina. Sure miss boating and fishing around there.