repetitive fuel clogging issues

twalker

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Seafarer that I repowered 2 years ago with a 200 HPDI 2 stroke Yami. The filters get clogged all the time, VST filter especially. We only have 135 hours on the motor and have replaced this filter 2 times. Last weekend, our first outing of the year, after having all filters replaced at year end last year, the motor dyed and would only run at very low rpm after 2 hours of boating!! I think I need to replace the tank and was wondering if anyone else was having these issues? The tank does not leak but this clogging issue leaves me with no confidence.

seasick

Reaction score
twalker said:
I have a 1989 Seafarer that I repowered 2 years ago with a 200 HPDI 2 stroke Yami. The filters get clogged all the time, VST filter especially. We only have 135 hours on the motor and have replaced this filter 2 times. Last weekend, our first outing of the year, after having all filters replaced at year end last year, the motor dyed and would only run at very low rpm after 2 hours of boating!! I think I need to replace the tank and was wondering if anyone else was having these issues? The tank does not leak but this clogging issue leaves me with no confidence.

You most likely have crud in the tank. Assuming the tank is sound, you might want to have it professionally cleaned.There are a few other things to check on also: Are you using a 10 micron fuel water separator? If there is crud in the tank, the water separator filter if pressent should also be getting clogged.

What does the substance that is clogging the VST filter look like? Some VST tanks were defective resulting in white crud in the tank ( probably an oxide of the aluminum VST tank).
There is also a decent possibility that your fuel lines themselves are dissolving, especially if they are original.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
have you thought of going to 2 micron racors? I think that the vst filter is a 2 micron filter. Im currently in the process of replacing my yamaha 10 micron filter setup with a ss/ racor setup. The existin original housings (aluminum) are starting to deteriorate into a white powder. I have read on several forums this solves the vst issue as any junk is caught upsteam of the vst. Im assuming that Ill have to change the racors more often but its easier than tearing half the engine apart to clean a little filter over and over. Also Racor has optional drains that allows you to drain any water out on the fly.

Bama96

Reaction score
Are you running Ethanol fuel? E10? If so have you checked your fuel supply lines to see if they are E10 compliant? Older non ethanol lines will degrade and allow small bits of the line into your fuel system.

ray leonard

Reaction score
pull sending unit n take a look in tank u may have "the blob"ethanol eating away at ur old hoses.just put low permiation ethanol resistant hoses n raycor setup on our n friends twenty yr old gradys.should have yrs of trouble free service.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I re-powered my 88 sailfish with HPDI's in '02 I had the same issues. It was right about the time we started using E10. The E10 wound up cleaning all the built up crud over the years and sent it to the filters. I actually put a ball valve below the 10 micron filter because it would clog the filters every mile or so while off shore. If your using E10 I wouldnt bother paying anyone to clean the tanks. The E10 is doing it for you. One thing I would highly recommend is change all your fuel lines that are E10 compatable. The E10 ate up my fuel fill hoses and sent the pieces to the filter too.... and start using startron..Good luck

'05 300 Marlin F250's