Replace 282 Sailfish helm seats

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would like to replace the two helm seats on my 2004 GW 282 Sailfish with seats that have folding arms and bolsters.
Have been looking at the Taco Capri Helm Chair Deluxe, # HA1-25WHA-0000-0-0. I'm worried they my be to wide.
Any body have any suggestions or better ideas? I would be greatly appreciated your answers.
Bob.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a similar set to those but I can’t remember the manufacturer. Very comfortable but they leave very little room to get by. I’d like to replace one and put in the bench which should open it up a bit.

fishtalk

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I saw someone post on the Grady Life - Grady White Owners Club Facebook group about upgrading to a Llebroc Mako Narrow seat in Voyager Sand but would double check before ordering.

They also purchased and installed a new bench from the GW factory in place of the previous passenger chair. Looked slick.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you for your reply fishtalk.
Your lead " Grady White Owners Club Facebook group about upgrading to a Llebroc Mako Narrow seat in Voyager Sand"
is very much
appreciated.
I checked Liebroc Mako out and their seat looks good!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have the Maco from Llebroc. A nice fit for a single chair helm on a walk. You'll have to measure the space you have today vs tomorrow if you want two chairs on a walk.
As for the chair, it is the same one offered by GW today. You can't get the GW logo, but you can get the color fabric. Arms fold nicely and the seat folds up half seat for a nice back bolster when riding. I suggest the solid mount as well. It's bigger than a GW stock Pomp seat and the stock adjustable mounts well - suck. They are not firm enough and you prob don't need the adjustability anyway. You can cut down the mount to the height you want.
I'll look for the thread when I was all jacked up on it and will post it here.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here is one thread that Pat posted.
Shows a port side chair replacement, he also has the same chair at the helm.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here is mine looks the same from the front. Back is different. I got vinyl over the hard white plastic, so the back of the chair is the same color, texture and feel all around.
It is an excellent chair. BTW I got the narrow. I think 2 standards would impact your helm walk way too much.

Attachments

• Llebroc Seat 1.jpg
    Llebroc Seat 1.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Llebroc Seat 2.jpg
    Llebroc Seat 2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 21

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That really looks good. I have to see how two side by side will be on my boat.
My boat is in winter storage and I should have back in about two weeks. Then I can see how much space I can give away for to these Liebock Maco's with the Voyager Sand color on all.
Bob

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
NP. If you know the chair you have now - prob either the Pompanette Deluxe2 as GW called it

or

The earlier Pomp chair

Both have PDF drawings so you should be able to get the seat width arms up and down and establish what I'll call an "as-is zone of fit". You can then contact Llebroc I worked with someone called Kit - she was very good and knows their products and GW requirements pretty well. I think the narrow Marlin Llebroc chair was a little wider - but not much... Then you can see how much aisle space you are giving up - if any. When you have time, take complete measurements of the area including space on starboard of the starboard chair and port of the port chair. Then you can create another "to-be zone of fit" drawing to see what key measurements looks like (don't forget to rotate the chair zones around as it likely isn't square - you want to ensure you don't give up any movement or come in contact with anything plus the chairs slide so your chair zones are adjustable). I'd start with the current mount holes and then investigate shift the seats closer to the sidewalls to make up any lost aisle space or for/aft for best driving position. I still have the factory mount in my boat. I was thinking of moving the fixed mount back further 2" - because I can without hitting the rigging station lid and gain space at the helm, but now will use the current location. I found if I want to have my back on the seat back; the current mounting position is best. In the crap, I like to be tight to the helm and if I move the mount backward, I get more helm room but a loss of close adjustability. The chair is bigger and even after tightening up the GW mount, the adjustability (a plus) gives the chair a little rocking motion (a negative). I'm also using different heights. When I go to the fixed mount, I'm going have to lock in on one as I have to use a large pipe cutter to set the mount final fixed height. You give up adjustability but gain rigidity. Everything has tradeoffs...

If you go after the narrow Marlin (I did this and plenty of room BTW), there are some benefits I'll share.
- Bigger & beefier chair just feels great.
- Bigger seat and longer seat cushion area.
- When you fold the seat for a leaning post, it is so nice to have 8" versus 4" to rest your back again.
- When you fold the arms up, have the seat configured as the post, slide it to the rear and spin it a bit so the seat edge faces the aisle; the aisle space feels bigger to me (never measured). Great when at anchor with the fam and people are moving all over the boat.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Finally Llebroc info.

https://www.llebroc.com/product-p/4bmk3001.htm I'd go with the GW color I think it is VOY-SAN , 3 choices of powder coat on the arms, I got white it was the only one offered at the time; I'd go cream today, VOY-SAN color (matches GW vinyl just checked) - I went with this and it matches great. Backing can be hard or soft vinyl, both are very nice. When I ordered the back was hard only with white or cream color on the website. I likely got an early vinyl back which is the VOY-SAN color that they made up without cost. You don't get the cool looking oval Llebrock label, but it meshes with the rest of the vinyl on the boat better for me. The solid back option looks great too. I didn't do a fabric design or welt to keep it GW looking prob saved some $ too. There is an arm delete, I didn't delete and prob wouldn't unless the aisle is a poor fit. I got a standard slide, can't remember which one and a fixed mount. You could ask Kit to pull my order (PM me if for info if interested). The slide I got works fine for me, others might want a flip up or other option There are a few mount and slide options, some were a bit rich for me and I really didn't want anything too complex - in my book this means more of my time in the future with maintenance and break/fix.
Finally check out the Billfish if you think the Marlin is too tall. I think on a Sailfish the Marlin isn't too tall but you may. I think the Billfish is more the height of the existing chair.

Let me know if you need any further info. Good luck with the project.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you once again Fishtails for all the very detailed good information.
All this really is a great help.
I will have some questions after I do some home work.
Talk to you soon.
Bob.

Fishin Impossible

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well Fishtales,
I just did It with a lot of thanks for your help.
I ordered from LLEBROC.COM two MAKO CHAIRS, WITH FLIP BOLSTER & PIVOT ARM.
Narrow Seat Width, 24.5"
Vinyl wrapped back with white powder coated arms( cover the same as main color.
Main color Voyager Sand,
Secondary color Voyage Sand.
Add Polished 316 Stainless Steel Upper Arm Assembly.
Any comments, its not to late to change.
Bob