replace head in 2005 282

Ron B

Reaction score
The head in our 2005 282 Sailfish...while very very noisy works well...however..I am thinking about replacing it next year.
I want a new much quieter head that works in the same space. And hopefully does not require a lot of fiberglass work to cover up the existing holes.

WHo has done this? Which head did you use? What problems did you encounter?
I am 900 miles south of the border in Mexico so when I start the job..I better have every part and piece I am going to need.
thanks
ron b

ahill

Reaction score
Do you have a Jabsco?
I have one in my 272 and other than being LOUD and requiring a lot of maintenance when used a lot Jabsco is fine when it's working. Paper gaskets at the lower impeller housing fail periodically and are a PITA to change. I always carry spares because they invariably fail away from the dock halfway thru a trip.
I have thought about either going back to the manual pump or changing completely.
The little investigation I've done always requires a remote mounted macerator/pump for the head.
Let us know what you find.

Motivator

Reaction score
I replaced the head in 06 282 last year. I have the manual head, replaced with the same. Basically a plug a play item, took about 45 minutes start to finish.

bc282

Reaction score
most heads need regular "maintenance." Either use them regularly or at end of each season flush a cup or two of veg oil thru them to keep the seals and such lubed. most heads have re-pack kit parts available which run about $50-80 a kit. if your manual head is very old, a new head is sometimes only a few bucks more than the repair kit! Thread reminds me to buy and carry a spare kit as you never know when you'll need one! oops, sorry, no help to fix a noisy head.

Ron B

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies...I do run the veggie oil thru the head a couple of times a year...and I have had the manual pump head on a 1994 grady sailfish...

this one works just fine...though noiser than a cement mixer filled with rocks...I am just trying to stay in front of the day when it quits...and yes I have looked at replacement parts...and all of them that might be needed begin to rival the cost of a new head...

I have yet to find one at a store that I can flush... or know for sure how it is going to fit in the existing space once the old Jabsco is removed.

Thank you all for your input...as I stumble along here... I will try to fill in the blanks in this thread.
thanks for all your help
ronb

Motivator

Reaction score
If you are looking to replace your head I found the best price at Sears of all places.