replaced Kenwood deck and speakers with Clarion and Infinity

bc282

Reaction score
when i bought the GW282 i thought the stereo sounded crappy. I found the cockpit Kenwood speakers to be fully involved in the disintegration process :x . The old stock Kenwood deck also did not play MP3 cut CD's nor had a front mini jack for aux hook-up and cut in and out at times. Sorry guys, no pics as i didn't have time. i may post some of the final product when i go down to the boat next time.

The old were replaced with Clarion M475 (deck), Infinity Kappa M602 speakers, and CMRC1 Remote + 24' extension.
(why the remote comes only with a 4" cable is stupid crazy, a 10 or 15' cable should be the min., but then they wouldn't sell as many expensive extension cables then :eek: )

The re and re-install went much longer than anticipated. The fishing of the remote cable was the hardest and longest part (I could not reuse the old kenwood remote cable).

Old deck removed (deck is in a plastic housing attached to underside of walkaround deck); a couple nuts and acorn nut and the housing comes off. remove bracing strap inside plastic housing to remove deck. disconnect deck from wiring harness. Note: new Clarion deck is similar face dimensions as Kenwood (had to dremel that opening just a bit more to make chasis fit), but the deck depth is much greater (had to cut most of the back of the plastic housing out to accomodate the heat sink and cables and a small slot for the new bracing strap to go thru.
I cut the wiring harness off the old deck and butt connected the new Clarion harness on to that (the wires all matched up :D) also i could not pull the old wires out enough to work with, so i had little choice.

The remote cable runs from the console down behind right cockpit speaker, down the starboard side (access by removing carpeted wood panel that covers the installed A/C in the aft berth), pass beside the enclosed head, to the bow anchor locker and around the port side to the deck located just above the sink. you'll need (2) extension cables for the remote to finish the remote install :evil: . i still need to buy another extension to finish that final part as i ended up about 5 feet short.

The speaker install was easiest as the existing holes had to be quickly enlarged using a dremel as it was just a bit tight. Mark and pre-drill for the new screws. i cut back as much of the old speaker wire as i could to reduce the amount of corroded wire (corrosion creeps up wires that are not marine grade!) and spliced on a short piece of new speaker wire that came terminated from the speaker kit. added some corrosion block to the terminals and installed speakers.

Powered on and the sound is much improved!

i had also bought a clarion marine amp, but after a days install and not done yet i went with the easier option of not installing the amp. i may later, but it's all good for now.

On a scale of 10: dfficulty > 3.5 (just took lots of time to figure out how the wires need to run and then fishing for the remote)