Replaced macerator pump

Renovator

Reaction score
Well the time had finally come to repair or replace the infamous macerator pump buried within the holding tank on my 282. Did some research on the forum here and job didn't look to bad once you got into it. Luckily it was nearly empty but once you remove the top be cautious! Removed the Groco unit, wasn't froze up at all, motor looked nearly perfect once removed from it's protective boot. Internally their was some sort of electrical issue as it would pull a lot of amperage and blow fuses quickly. Anyhow, could not locate just the motor itself and the cheapest I could find the Groco pump assembly was about 450.00 and it was still going to reside in a bad environment and would probably fail again.

Decided to consider a modification and purchased a Jabsco macerator pump and some fittings for less than 165.00 and installed it externally and it seems to work just fine. Even if it fails a few years down the road it will be much easier to service or replace. I think fresh water flushing will go along way. Just wanted to pass it along.
IMG_3578.jpg

Reactions: wahoo33417

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. That is one job I will be doing once it warms up a bit. I have the pump but need the PVC. How did you attach and seal the dip tube to the top of the phenolic plate?

Renovator

Reaction score
Drilled a 1 7/8" hole in plate and ran a 1 1/2" pvc male adapter from the top to a female adapter on the bottom of plate, glued in the pick up tube, added some Vulkem along the seam on both sides for good measure and screwed them tight to each other and created a good waterproof connection. Used barb fittings and hose for the rest of the hook up. Moved the vent loop up for min 8" above the pump, and wired to same switch. This installation is noisier than the original but I'm betting it is just as efficient. Good luck with it.
Ron

bc282

Reaction score
i hope that solution works and for a long time.
i did the dirty deed and replaced my sub mac pump last year.
the pump was actually still working, albeit "crudy and dirty", but working. The issue later found was somewhere in the wiring or switch.
i guess i have a spare pump which i hope i won't have to re-install anytime soon.
I actually don't mind a noisier pump, the new one is too quiet that i wonder if it is working!
definitely flush my tank with fresh water after use and keep it clean and empty as much as possible.
great idea on the external pump. let us know how well it works and if you run into issues.

ahill

Reaction score
Mine was replaced on my 272 with an external in 2001 by a prior owner. He used a Shurflo.
It died New Years Day and I replaced with a Jabsco. The Jabsco is quieter and drains quicker, hope I get the same mileage.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did the same on mine (252) a few years ago. You have a lot more room above the tank than I do, the motor sits on top of the tank and it barely fits.