Replacement Air Conditioner

Mike LaCroix

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2004 GW 282 Sailfish. The original Air Conditioner needs replacing. It’s a 7000btu Marine Air Systems. It appears to be made for GW because of the intake vent is custom. Has anyone replaced theirs and how did you deal with the intake vent. Which brand and model did you use?
Thanks.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello, just went through this with our 305 Express last year. Our original unit was probably the same, fresh air intake on left side and compressor on right towards the bow. I went with a Cruisair 8k unit but had to built a box around it so it only got return air from cabin. Total pain the butt. I found this unit after install which would probably work just depends on dimensions. Not sure where you are but I still have the original unit which worked when we removed it, the only problem I know of was the blower motor made a little noise. I am in Maryland and if you want it it's yours.

https://citimarinestore.com/en/merm...ontrol_option-programmable_control_thermostat

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A little off target here. We installed a 6500 btu Mermaid Air into our 2007 Sailfish. The boat did not come with air from the factory.

Mermaid Marine is based in Ft. Myers, FL and is known for customer support after the sale and easy installation. I very much found both to be true.

We just took a trip around south FL. The unit could not keep up during the record heat during the afternoons. We carried a sunbrella shade that extends from the hard-top to the bow to keep the cabin in shade. It may have kept up better if we put that up. But we didn't want another item to fold up and put away before an early start in the morning.

So we stayed in the pool until the sun was low on the horizon.

As soon as the sun was low, the cabin cooled down. At night it was plenty cool enough.

Last summer we cruised the Great Lakes and the Mermaid 6500 kept up just fine there. But this July heat wave in south FL was too much for it during the heat of the afternoon.

ttles714

Reaction score
I have done a lot of research on this as I was going to replace the 7K BTU MarineAirrre unit in my marliin 300 . I am getting so good at pulling the fridge and getting to the AC unit !!! LOL !! I had the unit repaired twice because it is a unit made specifically for GW. I removed the unit and brought it to a Marine AC service. The Unit I found that would fit was the Mermaid 9 K ( the 6 K and 9K are the same size ) ...
This summer, Upon getting ready to order directly from Mermaid, My MarineAirre unit started working again .... From my research the 9K BTU mermaid is the way to go. There is enough room in the Marlin compartment to offset the arrangement of the compressor and the intake condenser to line up with the air intake under the steps.