Replacement Horn Cover

Reaction score
Trying to track down a replacement horn cover for my 1994 Tournament 192. I called my local Grady dealer (Capstan Marine in Richmond, BC) and they said I would have to buy a whole new horn assembly. Capstan's service department has proven themselves to be completely useless in the past so I am inclined to believe there is a better alternative.

Does anyone know where a new horn cover can be purchased online?

Thanks,

rpeecee

Reaction score
Wondering if you ever found a cover or if you made one. I am in the same place you were... put my hand through the cover today. 1996 tournament 192.

bhemi

Reaction score
Can you post a pic and list the manufacturer? I usually end up buying from the manufacturer directly.

Reaction score
The horn cover plate was cheep plastic and the manufacture was ITC ('Challenger" model). They don't make this style anymore. Mine was trashed along with the horn... i pulled it all out and haven't fixed it yet but my plan is to make my own cover and use some old but good horns i have laying around in my garage from a VW.

jon11848

Reaction score
Did you ever find a replacement for this plastic cover? What part did you use off of the VW? I am in the same situation. Thanks.

Reaction score
Finally finished the cover... not sure I like it... might try and find a powdercoat that's close to Grady off white. It's not a perfect piece, I did it all on an old manual mill...not vary ridged.
IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I may have an extra one. Will look today. If I can find it, it's yours.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Just purchased a 1998 192 and of course the horn is busted. Has anyone had any luck finding a retailer for a replacement horn or a nice cover like the one pictured in this post?

Reaction score
I have yet to install new horns in my boat... I have some car horns I am going to use. This might work.... you would have to drill new holes and get some gel coat repair to plug the old ones. You may have to make a backing plate also, I could never find a direct replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item1e672ce1fb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130650189758?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm about to re powdercoat mine in an off white to match the hull closer... I just did the silver only because it was what I had at the time.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 180. If you take a 5x5 piece of 1/4 starboard, you can cut a hole for a new round horn in it and it will cover the existing hole perfectly.

If you aren't motivated to cut and round it off yourself, FL Marine Plastics or Fin Addict can make one for you. I think it ran me about $20 or so. Matched the GW Seafoam color perfectly.

Fishballs15

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 209. Couldn't find a replacement horn cover anywhere and happened to ask the service guys at Tri-State Marine when I had the boat in for service. The guys there ended up fabricating a great replacement for me out of starboard. I'll try and get a picture of it this weekend and post back. Very straightforward and looks good too. Didn't have to drill any new holes and is much stronger than the cheap plastic mess that was on there before.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Thanks Parthery! I actually just ordered a piece of starboard because I am now planning to mount a new horn on top of it per one of the other posts. I'm sure someone else will grab your piece though.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Thanks again for all the help everyone! Please see below before and after shots. We now have a working horn!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 336
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 335
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 335

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Trying to track down a replacement horn cover for my 1994 Tournament 192. I called my local Grady dealer (Capstan Marine in Richmond, BC) and they said I would have to buy a whole new horn assembly. Capstan's service department has proven themselves to be completely useless in the past so I am inclined to believe there is a better alternative.

Does anyone know where a new horn cover can be purchased online?

Thanks,
West Marine

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat Outfitters will make you one out of starboard in the GW almond color.

Suggestion-have then do the cutout for a single flush mount horn so you can use it again when the horn goes out. They don’t last forever.