Replacement Scupper Drain Hose

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The metal reinforcement wire on my scupper drain hoses are rusting out and hoses are starting to leak.

I called Grady and was told that they still use and recommend metal reinforced hosing for the scupper drains. I assume that this is some type of engine coolant hose. I can see this problem coming back after a few years since it only took 3 years before I noticed rust stains below the hose closest to my washdown system. I spray that area a lot while fishing since my bait board is on that side. So the hose is constantly being wetted with seawater from both the inside and outside.

Can anyone recommend another type of reinforced hose that doesn't use steel wire?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You still need to use something that has reinforcing. I used white head (sanitation) hose. Instead of a metal wire inside it, it has a hard nylon/plastic "wire" wound inside it. It's also a little easier to work with (on/off the barb) if you heat it up.

fellinger

Reaction score
The question is how do you get to them! I was launching my boat yesterday at dead low tide which really dips my stern and submerges my stern scuppers. I noticed water coming into the bilge. I cannot see how any normal sized individual can reach the area to replace them. My boat is a 95 272 Sailfish. Ideas?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rum, yeah, I have absolutely zero reservations about using that heavy duty white head hose. Plus, no metal wire to rust!

Tip... when trying to remove the old, black, metal-wire reinforced stuff... try to get a sawzall or some type of cutting tool in there and cut the hose into two pieces, first. Removing two pieces is MUCH easier than wrestling with a single piece that doesn't want to bend/flex.

BigI

Reaction score
I did this job last year. I first tried the white spa hose. I had trouble compressing it around the fitting. They leaked a little. I found a metal reinforced clear hose at HD that seemed to work much better for me.