Replacement trailer axle

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hello all- I'm looking for some advice on a new axle. The trailer on my 265 express is original Boatmaster with Henchen dura flex torsion axles. Well I lost a wheel assembly on the interstate recently. Yea great fun there but thankfully no crash, just limped the last hundred miles home on three tires, slowly. The spindle on that side is shot so a new axle is necessary. I tried to call Henchen several times but never can get through so maybe they are closed up, not sure. Another brand axle is all right with me but am unsure of brands/quality. Expert advice is appreciated.
One more thing, my trailer is two axle and I haul a lot so I'm wondering if I should consider adding a third axle or if that would be a mistake?
Thanks in advance for help. I'm sort of shipwrecked right now.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you called Boatmaster? They will sell you the original matching axle which will bolt right up and save you a bunch of grief (and redrilling.)

You can find them at http://www.jdciboatmaster.com

239-768-2224

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I haven't called them yet. I thought it might be cheaper to buy from the manufacturer if they sell to individuals.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The 265 isn't that heavy of a boat that it necessarily warrants a triple. If the current trailer is properly rated for your "wet" load, I would not add another axle. It's just another set of tires and brakes to deal with. It sounds like you've trailered quite a bit with it. Yes, the extra axle gives another level of redundancy, but if everything has been staying cool, I would keep it simple. What about replacing the current axle with one that has replaceable spindles and carry an extra one?

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
My trailer is the original that came with the boat so it's rated for it. I was just wondering about the third axle since I trailer a lot. I wasn't aware I could get a correct axle with replaceable spindles. That would be a big plus. I carry extra bearings with me but they weren't enough last trip. Do you know who makes that type of axle?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just because the boat came with a trailer under it, doesn't necessarily mean it's the proper one. Check the specs on the trailer and compare it toyour weights to be sure.

I know those replaceable spindle axles are out there, but I've never really paid much attention to the details. Sorry, no, I don't know what brand offhand. Google will probably be a big help! My uncle used to carry a spare spindle (mounted to a wheel, ready to go) - but that was quite a while ago and I don't know if he had torsion or spring axles. The trailer he had was called Float On, though. No idea if they're still in business, but I do remember he had this "self/auto locking" bow eye/bow stand setup. As the boat floated on, the bow eye "clicked" into this large, U-shaped bar set up. The person in the truck never even had to get out of the truck.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Give Eastern Trailer a call and ask for Chris. He is a great guy and knows his stuff. He might be able to cross reference an axle for you and one with replaceable spindles. My Road King has replaceable spindles and not hard job to do. I replaced all 4 of mine last year and upgraded brakes, etc.